Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Anyone here ever use a LDC for kick

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Eh?

How'd that work forya?

And wheredja' place it?

(Cheap Chinee LDC gonna be reinforcement onna Recorderman/Johns set-up.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:48 pm

cad e300 about a foot from the kick in figure 8 with some dampening behind it.

doesn't work great for dense rock music, not enough punch.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:02 pm

Don't hesitate to try it, especially if the mic has a high spl rating, and/or a pad on it. Back in the old days I used to put a cheap MXL inside the kick and it sounded cool.

I sometimes put an AT4047 a foot away from the resonant head if I think the kick sound needs a fraction more sustain, and some kind of a mid thing happening. Sometimes my kick mics D112, e602 sound a little too.... quick....processed...scooped.... modern. I can't think of the word. But I know I like mixing the LDC outside of the kick for a little more lows, mids, and a little pinch of resonance.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:29 pm

losthighway wrote:I sometimes put an AT4047 a foot away from the resonant head if I think the kick sound needs a fraction more sustain, and some kind of a mid thing happening. Sometimes my kick mics D112, e602 sound a little too.... quick....processed...scooped.... modern. I can't think of the word. But I know I like mixing the LDC outside of the kick for a little more lows, mids, and a little pinch of resonance.
I second ALL of this.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Yes, yes , yes.
The MXL 2001 is a very good kick mic. That's almost all it's good for but it is good.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:53 pm

a few times i've put an Oktava 219 a couple feet back from the resonant head, almost level with the top of the drum. obviously terrible if you're trying to isolate the kick drum sound, but the kick sounded great to me.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:15 pm

It won't give you isolation....it's more like a more focused room mic. If you want more isolation, you can build a doghouse. I usually use it for a looser feel, less punchy, with more room vibe and bleed. I usually have it about a foot off the ground, 3 to 5 feet straight back, and move it around till it sits right.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:23 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
losthighway wrote:I sometimes put an AT4047 a foot away from the resonant head if I think the kick sound needs a fraction more sustain, and some kind of a mid thing happening. Sometimes my kick mics D112, e602 sound a little too.... quick....processed...scooped.... modern. I can't think of the word. But I know I like mixing the LDC outside of the kick for a little more lows, mids, and a little pinch of resonance.
I second ALL of this.
me too except i use a 4040.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:51 pm

Excellent!

I have a MXL 1006, and a AT4040!

And a Samson C02, and a Bellwanger B1 ... :oops:

So I shall be having fun, when we can find the time to try 'em.

(I jes' heard we may not make it this weekend as the drummer has soccer practice ... :x )
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Many years ago I assisted a very good engineer who almost always put a FET47 on the outside head of the kick and then another mic, I think it was usually a Beyer Dynamic mic of some sort or a D12E on the inside. He always got excellent kick sounds with that setup.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Usually have a FET47 or a TLM 170 pretty close on the resonant head. It works.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I recorded a reggae band a couple years ago where the drummer had no hole cut in the res head of his kick. I used an AT4047 a foot or two away. It was a fairly large room, we were going for a very roomy sound and the kick had a lot of projection. Sounded pretty good to my ears. Most of the time it hasn't fit with what I was recording, but worked well in that situation.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:42 am

i often put a tunnel of furniture blankets to make a tunnel. then use a LDC (mxl 2001 or rode NT2) a few feet back in the tunnel. with a mic inside the drum to get the beater sound. i have an ATM-25 for this, or sometimes re20 or even a sm57 once or twice when it just ended up sounding better on a particular drum for some reason.

experiment!!

i only use stuff like the beta52 or d112 when it's a solo mic.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:15 am

Been using a Soundelux ifet7 outside the bass drum. Not exactly a Neumann U47FET but in that same battle class. Wunder has a new CM7FET that recently got reviewed in TapeOp Mag, check it out.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:49 am

I use a large diaphragm condenser on kick probably 75% of the time. Where I put it changes, although these days, it's often outside the drum and rarely inside. If I'm doing an inside mic, it's usually a dynamic. What mic I use varies. The FET47 is an all-time favorite of mine, so if I'm working somewhere that's got one, it usually ends up on the kick. The best substitute I've found for the FET47 on kick is the Lawson version of the FET47 and I use one of those quite a bit. I've also been using a C414EB (silver) a good bit in recent years, but I'll also use a Blue Mouse or a U87 on occasion.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC