nice synth!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 am

so steve means they're playing to track, right? they've just done it the hard way by making a robot that plays the track on live drums and guitar hero controller... well, tech is great but i won't be interested until somebody makes art with it.

i wonder how they reconcile they're ancient superstition with the modern technology they're so into. (i don't really wonder)
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:10 am

jntracks wrote:so steve means they're playing to track, right? they've just done it the hard way by making a robot that plays the track on live drums and guitar hero controller... well, tech is great but i won't be interested until somebody makes art with it.

i wonder how they reconcile they're ancient superstition with the modern technology they're so into. (i don't really wonder)
hmmm. this is an interesting response. could you expound on this?

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:21 am

casey campbell wrote:
jntracks wrote:so steve means they're playing to track, right? they've just done it the hard way by making a robot that plays the track on live drums and guitar hero controller... well, tech is great but i won't be interested until somebody makes art with it.

I believe he's one of those people to whom your sig file refers. That is, atheists.

I doubt you will find his very mild dig at Christianity any more offensive than some of us (meaning me) found "People who preach tolerance, are those who are the most intolerant when you disagree with them."

But I don't want to sound intolerant. Even though I have had my fill of religion (any/all religion), in light of the Park51 furor happening on my very doorstep. People should worship as they please and leave others in peace and to their own worship- or lack thereof.

Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't the forum for that discussion, right?

Peace be with us all, for a change.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:57 pm

tdbajus wrote:
casey campbell wrote:

I believe he's one of those people to whom your sig file refers. That is, atheists.

I doubt you will find his very mild dig at Christianity any more offensive than some of us (meaning me) found "People who preach tolerance, are those who are the most intolerant when you disagree with them."

But I don't want to sound intolerant. Even though I have had my fill of religion (any/all religion), in light of the Park51 furor happening on my very doorstep. People should worship as they please and leave others in peace and to their own worship- or lack thereof.

Also, I'm pretty sure this isn't the forum for that discussion, right?

Peace be with us all, for a change.
whoa whoa whoa buddy. you can relax. i am genuinely interested in what he has to say about technology. im asking because i'd like to get his point of view on it.

p.s. - there is no such thing as atheism...only agnosticism

my signature doesn't refer to atheists...

also - please don't derail the thread because you wanna pick a fight. im asking him to expound on his technology as art comment because i have an interest in that subject. i don't really care about his "dig" at christianity. it's his opinion. it's not offensive to me. im interested in art and technology being combined...or if they can be....

much love-

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:21 pm

jntracks wrote:i wonder how they reconcile they're ancient superstition with the modern technology they're so into. (i don't really wonder)
The 'ancient superstition' he's referring to is Christianity. He's making a joke that Christians, since they have rejected reason for faith would also reject technology.

Or I could be wrong.

casey campbell wrote: p.s. - there is no such thing as atheism...only agnosticism
Yes, yes. Descartes. Pascal. Other frenchmen.
casey campbell wrote: p.s.s. - my signature doesn't refer to atheists...
Must.
Not.
Rise.
To.
Bait.
casey campbell wrote: also - please don't derail the thread because you wanna pick a fight. im asking him to expound on his technology as art comment because i have an interest in that subject.
I actually was trying to avoid a fight. If you've ever read any post I've ever dropped (like a poo) on this forum, you will realize that this is by far the most measured and restrained comment I have ever posted.

Strangely, I was trying to head off a flame war, as it seems likely to me that you might take offense to [what seems very likely to be your] religion being ridiculed.

For what it is worth, I think that a robot drummer is kind of a funny idea.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm

tdbajus wrote:
jntracks wrote:i wonder how they reconcile they're ancient superstition with the modern technology they're so into. (i don't really wonder)
The 'ancient superstition' he's referring to is Christianity. He's making a joke that Christians, since they have rejected reason for faith would also reject technology.

Or I could be wrong.

casey campbell wrote: p.s. - there is no such thing as atheism...only agnosticism
Yes, yes. Descartes. Pascal. Other frenchmen.
casey campbell wrote: p.s.s. - my signature doesn't refer to atheists...
Must.
Not.
Rise.
To.
Bait.
casey campbell wrote: also - please don't derail the thread because you wanna pick a fight. im asking him to expound on his technology as art comment because i have an interest in that subject.
I actually was trying to avoid a fight. If you've ever read any post I've ever dropped (like a poo) on this forum, you will realize that this is by far the most measured and restrained comment I have ever posted.

Strangely, I was trying to head off a flame war, as it seems likely to me that you might take offense to [what seems very likely to be your] religion being ridiculed.

For what it is worth, I think that a robot drummer is kind of a funny idea.
fair enough. nah, im not offended that people don't believe...

im more offended at those who have misrepresented christianity with greed, politics, and elitism - which those types have missed the whole point altogether.

why would christians reject technology? it makes our lives so much easier!

again - much love.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 am

That robot drummer looks pretty boss. I want to build one and start a one-man garage Krautrock band.

The music is not remotely my cup of tea but I dig their tech. Touring with a modular takes guts even if you're just playing simple lines, I hope they use it for some deep-space moments though.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:12 pm

touring with a modular and a THEREMIN. i'm pretty sure that the iPhone might be running the T-Pain app, from the trilly auto-tunish thing his voice seems to be doing. lose a couple points there.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:32 pm

so steve means they're playing to track, right? they've just done it the hard way by making a robot that plays the track on live drums and guitar hero controller... well, tech is great but i won't be interested until somebody makes art with it.
http://www.capturedbyrobots.com/

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:58 am

Yeah, that sure is a nice synth, a beautiful one if you ask me.
Don't get me started on the band or on the song or on the crowd or on the state of things that put together these three elements, though.
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 am

calmsea wrote:
http://www.capturedbyrobots.com/
Arghhhhhhhhhhhh this guy is brilliant but he never comes to New England! I've been waiting about five years to see him live.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 am

Wow, talk about not being able to see the forest for the trees. So building a drumming robot that can play alongside a band doesn't qualify as art? You don't see the statement made by having a robot play a computer? Sure qualifies as art to me.

And while I really, really, really don't want to discuss religion, spirituality, faith, or theology with anybody on this board, perhaps there are people who can credit the ability to have modern technology to what you dismiss as "ancient superstition." Again, I'm not looking for a back-and-forth here; I sincerely doubt that anybody is going to have their minds changed by anything said in this thread. All that will be produced are hurt feelings and flame wars.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote: Wow, talk about not being able to see the forest for the trees. So building a drumming robot that can play alongside a band doesn't qualify as art? You don't see the statement made by having a robot play a computer? Sure qualifies as art to me.

And while I really, really, really don't want to discuss religion, spirituality, faith, or theology with anybody on this board, perhaps there are people who can credit the ability to have modern technology to what you dismiss as "ancient superstition." Again, I'm not looking for a back-and-forth here; I sincerely doubt that anybody is going to have their minds changed by anything said in this thread. All that will be produced are hurt feelings and flame wars.
+1 on the art of the robot.
+2 on no faith-based flame wars.
+3 on agreeing with my homeboy GJ.

Back to the robot, I think I would rather see R2 up there pounding away than a guy with a laptop for some reason. Which seems weird, since my band uses drum machines live, which I also like to see more than someone with a laptop. Makes no sense to me, but there you have it.

I also have to smile a bit- their tech must be one patient dude- he's got all the troubles of miking a live kit (less monitoring, I guess) and all the troubles of a machine.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:08 pm

sure, maybe the robot itself is art... but, would the sounds that it makes be considered "music"? ;)

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:32 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:sure, maybe the robot itself is art... but, would the sounds that it makes be considered "music"? ;)
I'd consider what comes out of an Optigan, a player piano, a sequencer, a drum machine, an iPod, a cd player, a record player, a roll of 2" tape, and a radio to possibly be music; so therefore I'd have to leave open the possibility that yes, a robot could produce music.

Or are you more comfortable if we insist that the person who programs the robot is the one making the music? If that's what it takes, then by all means look at it that way. But on a philosophical level - to me at least - there's no real difference.