Moog warm up.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Moog warm up.

Post by blackdiscoball » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 pm

So I just got my moog liberation back from the shop which built a new power supply in out box for it. I got it in an unplayable state but now that it works I've noticed that for the first half hour things are a little weird. The after touch stays on when it shouldn't be and the second osc. doesn't work at its lowest pitch setting. After it warms up for 20-30 minutes it seems fine. Im thinking that its probable the caps in it since its a around 30+ years old but Im looking for second opinions from people who have owned synths before I start tearing into it and replacing caps? Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Are those plagued with the "black foam?"

That'd be my first suspect...old caps a near second place.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:54 am

Im not sure what that is so Im going to look it up and get back to you. :shock:

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 am

My old Mini used to take about that long to warm up. This was in late 90's early 00's.
Prog out with your cog out.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:27 am

I have an early 70's Roland Sh-1000 that needs to warm up too. It's got a 2 octave keyboard and it takes about half an hour before both octaves are in tune with each other.
If the keyboard is actually cold it's even worse. I used to gig with it and it was a nightmare in the winter. I'd leave it powered up from soundcheck to showtime and it would still act crazy.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:I have an early 70's Roland Sh-1000 that needs to warm up too. It's got a 2 octave keyboard and it takes about half an hour before both octaves are in tune with each other.
If the keyboard is actually cold it's even worse. I used to gig with it and it was a nightmare in the winter. I'd leave it powered up from soundcheck to showtime and it would still act crazy.
The mini was like that, too.
Prog out with your cog out.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Any synth before, I dunno, maybe the DX7 :P , will have some warmup related tuning issues. If they persist after it warmed up, it's probably in need of some attention.

But for the aftertouch to be flaky and one oscillator to be totally dead at one range is probably indicative of something legitimately broken.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:05 am

If it was just tuning I know it would be due to warm up but it can be on for 20 min and as you're playing osc 2 will suddenly kick in out of nowhere. I've got some new switches and sliders to install here soon so I might check into the black foam (which I imagine will be in there and need removed) and I will also look at replacing some caps in the problem areas. I have all the schematics and stuff. If that doesn't do it it will be off to a shop to have a professional do his/her thing.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:34 pm

This is why Rock Wakeman and others went to Arturia MiniMoog long ago.

"The F*&%ing think takes too bloody long to tune up!!!"

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

wkrbee
pushin' record

Post by wkrbee » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Broken or cracked solder joints, PCB cracked,damaged/intermittent traces or thermally sensitive components.As the unit warms up in any of the mentioned scenarios,the different matl.,(fiberglass,copper,solder, internal structure of the component,etc.), expand/contract at different rates.In other words,if you have a bad/intermittent solder joint, cold it doesn't make contact, and after it warms up it does. Freeze spray and a hot solder iron will isolate the thermally sensitive component.
Grandpa sez"common sense ain't that common"