Korg Monotron

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Korg Monotron

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:01 am

I've got the Kaossilator and love it; I use it live and in the studio.

This sounds like another fun one, and the price is right.

GJ

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:12 pm

So I picked one up today. The filter is definitely worth $60. Also, while you won't be using the synth in a ton of songs (it plays like a stylaphone) it is still a fun toy to keep you busy and filter things through.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:59 am

All of y'all posts intrigued me, and I searched out some on-line demos of the Monotron. I am DEFINITELY getting this thing. Very sweet. As mentioned, the filter function looks really coolio.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:16 pm

OK, I went to GC today and picked one up. It's pretty cool, but I'll mess with it a while and maybe report later.

GJ

Jed
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Jed » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:50 am

I brought mine over to an impromptu jam at a friend's house last night. Played it through a delay pedal into a peavey delta blues amp.

No one could believe the huge and wide variety of sounds that were coming out of it. It's just sick.

Everyone left wanting to buy one.

Nuff said.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:49 pm

OK, I've played with it a bit (and did a _little_ filtering while I tried it out at the store), but I haven't heard it through an amp of my own yet.

It will definitely find a way into some productions-- it is more than a toy. But some of the drawbacks are a very imprecise ribbon controller (the keyboard markers don't correspond to reality as far as note temperment/tuning), and sometimes it has trouble tracking with a stylus (which I had to get because it's hard to squeeze my fat fingers in there), so strict melodies will not be the forte here.

Although, I did find a series of settings that got me real close to the original Stylophone sound used on Bowie's "Space Oddity." Pretty cool. You can also tweak the VCO/pitch to get some "almost two-oscillator" type sounds.

I like it, but not as much as my Kaossilator. The two of them together with my old Yamaha DJ sampler would make a killer portable/micro DJ set-up, though.

GJ

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:20 pm

There is a little trim pot on the top side (same side as the input and output) that you can use to tune it.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Yeah, I did notice that, and meant to make note of it in my post. But I think I might be eh-scared to mess with it. You try it first, huh?

GJ

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:07 pm

You try it first, huh?
I could probable do that. So far I've had no reason to be in tune with anything yet.

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:28 pm

can someone post a clip with just guitar filtered through it with no other effects? the video on the website uses a drum sample loop and a kaossilator, but I wanted to hear just a clean guitar through it on just a few settings...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:19 pm

OK, a little more time to experiment today. Ran the Monotron through the board and monitors in the studio. VERY LITTLE output direct from the headphone out, but it sounded great through an ART pre-amp.

Lots more low-end available than the little on-board speaker can reproduce, which was good to confirm.

Sounds great, and if sick analog sickness is what you're after, this thing is the stuff. Still haven't played with the tuning screw in the back, so I'm not sure if it can be really zero'd in, or if the oscillators drift a little as a matter of course.

GJ

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Ok, just to follow up, turning the little trim pot just tunes it up, nothing to be scared of ; ). Also, this thing makes great kick and bass drop sounds (for you metal kids) if you use the lfo as a primitive EG. Its ended up on two or three clients songs already and I've run a bunch of stuff through the filter (a distorted drum machine being the best). Seriously everyone should buy one and then maybe korg will build a new analog monosynth with a real keyboard! :shock: :roll: But really its a great tool for sonic screwing around and I might need to buy another to hack around with.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Korg...

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:05 pm

>>>>maybe korg will build a new analog monosynth with a real keyboard! Shocked Rolling Eyes<<<<

Well, I know it's not the same/analog thing, but the Micro Korg looks pretty sweet too (both the new and older version). But, I've already got a Juno G, a Yamaha, an old 800 lb. Kawai, a vintage Jen SX1000 Moog knock-off, an E-Mu module, a Casio SK-1, plus the Kaossilator and the Monotron-- AND I'M NOT EVEN A KEYBOARD PLAYER! So I guess I'll have to wait on the Micro Korg. :cry:

Anyway, I'm still digging the Monotron... I'll have to try the tuning screw, since BDB was kind enough to make himself the guinea pig.

GJ

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:29 pm

The microkorgs are alright, I wouldn't mind one for the vocoder but its no analog synth. Im not saying its doesn't have its place but I like the hands on control of a mono synth and I like the imperfect nature of them but Id love to buy a new analog monosynth I didn't have to get worked on.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Hmmm -

My Casio CZ-101, the lawn sale Yamaha keys, the 8-bit drum machine -> A cheapie 4 channel mixer with the Alesis 'verb + the Korg in the FX loop.

Madness! :twisted:
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****