Lunchbox amps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Lunchbox amps?

Post by Zoltar » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:15 am

Anybody have experiences with low wattage class A tube amps? Comparisons would be nice.

Traynor Dark Horse
Vox Night Train
Mesa Boogie trans atlantic
etc

vapour trail
alignin' 24-trk

Post by vapour trail » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:58 am

I've heard the Vox quite a lot, guitarist from a band I mix had one for a while. I liked the sound, not really ac30-y but a touch fender-y. more shimmery then f.i. a tiny terror. He was playing a guitar with not too hot humbuckers on it.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm

My personal favorite kind of amps. I don't own many, but I've played a bunch. The Night train is pretty nice, definitely a kind of unique sound, not totally Vox, not totally Fender. Not my favorite, but definitely usable. I haven't used the Traynor or Mesa Boogie, now I'm going to be looking into them, thanks! The Orange Tiny Terror is nice. a lot of people like them for high gain stuff, but I really like them with single coil Fenders (similar to the sound of the Marshall Haze amps, a really nice thick but detailed cleaner sound). I've tried those Vox AC4TV amps that are pretty cheap, but I couldn't get any sound I liked out of them. Very cheap solid state sounding, despite being tube. Some people love them. The Epi Valve Junior is great with the right guitar into a nice cab. My personal favorite lunchbox amp I lust over is the Egnater Rebel 20. Tube mix knob, bright switch, amazing amp. Not so much for high gain stuff, but that's not what I do much myself. My dream is to have a practical rack of a bunch of lunchbox amps, haha.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 pm

jgimbel wrote:My personal favorite lunchbox amp I lust over is the Egnater Rebel 20. Tube mix knob, bright switch, amazing amp. Not so much for high gain stuff, but that's not what I do much myself.
+1. I have one of these, and it's an EXTREMELY versatile amp. Even if you wanted to do heavy rock and metal, it'll get you there without problem. It's hard to find a good hi-gain amp that actually gives you a great clean sound.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Crate VS15 something or other. Only 15 Watts, but really nice Watts.

Not made anymore...

I will not part with mine, no sir...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:45 pm

metanoiastudios wrote:
jgimbel wrote:My personal favorite lunchbox amp I lust over is the Egnater Rebel 20. Tube mix knob, bright switch, amazing amp. Not so much for high gain stuff, but that's not what I do much myself.
+1. I have one of these, and it's an EXTREMELY versatile amp. Even if you wanted to do heavy rock and metal, it'll get you there without problem. It's hard to find a good hi-gain amp that actually gives you a great clean sound.
I have a mini dream of a 2x12 with 2 small heads on it. I was originally thinking the traynor dark horse and ? but I like the looks of the Egnater Tweaker. I am also interested in the jet city picovalve. I don't expect anybody to have time with those amps.

I wasn't super thrilled with the Matamp minimat, it had a nice sound with lots of character, but i didn't feel it had much latitude or variation.

I might rethink the traynor. I would love to support 'hand made in Canada'

SpicerAck
audio school

Post by SpicerAck » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:05 pm

one of my favourite amps is my little Harmony 303A. i think it cranks out about 3 watts through a Jensen alnico 8 inch. it is VERY warm sounding, to the point that i usually only run strat bridge pickup on it to keep it from getting muddy, but has a great almost Champ like sound.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:33 pm

Yeah if we're going to get into vintage combo amps, I love my 1960's Ampeg Reverberocket II. I believe it's about 18W, most incredible amp reverb I've ever heard, beautiful thick clean sound, and only lightly but smoothly overdrives when cranked. One I'll never let go.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:25 am

I saw a friend's band last night, he was playing one of the AC15 heritage combos. It killed, even with an acoustic with a magnetic pickup the overdriven tone was superb.

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:53 pm

I have a Tiny Terror and it's kind of dark. Definitely not harsh. 7w and 15w settings are not too much different. But it sounds great through a 4x12.

I also have a brand new ZT Lunchbox I've yet to try, but supposedly is 200w and gig ready.
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Little harmony's and magnatone's are always a hit.

Fender Pro Junior usually takes the cake. If you're looking for just a head you can buy a head cabinet for it.

And I've heard magnificent things about the bad cat cub but have yet to try it myself.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:08 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:Fender Pro Junior usually takes the cake. If you're looking for just a head you can buy a head cabinet for it.
TO user ipressrecord uses his Pro Junior all the time through his iso cab with clients, and every time I hear his guitar sounds I ask him how he got them. I've got him playing guitar for my live band now in a hostage situation and when we practice I use his Pro Junior with my Jaguar, and now I really want one of those. I like it SO much better than the Blues Junior I had and sold.

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:38 pm

The Pro Jr is great. I never considered it a lunchbox though. Here's mine
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:59 pm

The VHT special 6 is pretty nice, like a Champ that's been to the gym.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 am

Check out the newest Guitar Player magazine - Dec 2010, Dweezil Zappa on the cover. They review five little low-watt amps:

Dr. Z Monza
Egnater Tweaker
Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic (Editors' Pick)
Victoria Ivy League (Editors' Pick)
65 Amps Tupelo

As to what constitutes a true Class A circuit vs. simply EL84 tone, I'll let others duke it out while I watch from the corner...

BTW, I play a Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special with the 5w/15w/30w switchable power and I can just sop that tone up with big ol' piece of crusty bread all night long.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote in residence
Music and writings
Psychedelic pop and ambient soundscapes a specialty
www.thecoyote.org