FS: 1977 MCI/Sony JH-428B, In Seattle, Need to Sell ASAP

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

doc
pushin' record

FS: 1977 MCI/Sony JH-428B, In Seattle, Need to Sell ASAP

Post by doc » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi All,
Needing to sell my mixing board as soon as possible. I'm asking $3000 obo. Please don't be shy about making an offer - worst I'll say is no.

It was made in Florida in 1977 by MCI/Sony. These boards are known for having big, fat bottom end, thick mids, and smooth highs.

I bought it about 4 or 5 years ago and have been lots of work into. Local Techs Wil Bailey, Jay Fallett, and Greg Williamson have all spent time working on this board. It's not perfect, but it's working pretty damn well.

28 Inputs, 3 band eq plus low and high shelving, 4 sends, 4 returns, fully wired patchbay that's been converted to DB25's (from the original Touchel connectors), lots of channels recapped and serviced, John Hardy op-amp upgrade on the mix bus, comes with all manuals, and recapped power supplies - plus extender card and an parts power supply! It's approximately 74.45" wide and 39.65" deep, has the original stand, and is in good to very good cosmetic condition.

Here's a rundown of issues with some of the channels:

1. None
2. Phase and Lo cut indicator LIGHTS will not turn off (note: the phase and Lo-cut work - turning on and off as they should - it's just the indicator lights that won't turn off)
3. None
4. Lo cut and Solo indicator LIGHTS will not turn off
5. Mic pre does not work, will not pan to L bus, channel mute LIGHTt is out
6. Mic pre does not work, passes scratchy (unusable) signal with line input
7. None
8. Solo indicator LIGHT will not turn off
9. EQ and Phase indicator LIGHTS will not turn off
10. Does not pass any signal
11. Solo indicator LIGHT will not turn off
12. Will not pan to R bus, Mid EQ gain switch makes VERY loud popping sounds WHEN SWITCHED (once engaged or disengaged it's fine)
13. Channel mute LIGHT is out
14. Will not pan to L bus
15. None
16. None

Also worth noting: Echo sends do not function, the mic preamps on channels 9 - 16 have not been tested, there are switches and pots all over the place with unknown functionality that were not tested. Also, there's an intermittent issue where if many mic pres are being used the noise buildup can become too loud to use. Returns seem to all be working great. It's currently in service being used on a regular basis.

Please do not send any private messages. You can email me directly at matthewldoctor (at) g mail (dot) com

Thanks!

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Forgot to mention - the board also has a channel strip with one Allison Research/Valley People Gain Brain and one Kepex.

-Doc

UXB
steve albini likes it

Wow

Post by UXB » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:04 pm

If I still lived in a loft, I'd be all over this. Just wanted to give a word of encouragement!

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Sold!

Thanks to all who emailed, asked questions, gave advice, and offered encouragement.

-Doc