Basement drummers avoiding clamminess

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Basement drummers avoiding clamminess

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:37 am

Hey Drummers (who also play other instruments and hit record),

How do you avoid feeling all clammy after you lay down your drum tracks so that you can move quickly to the board and set up for overdubbing your next part on, say, bass, without having to change/take a shower. Then, maybe after playing bass for 20 minutes and cooling off, I realize I need to get back to the drums for another try.

Any clothes, like wicking underwear t-shirts that really work for you? My wife bought me some wool t-shirts from REI that are supposed to work for this, but they're just too damn itchy.

I'd like to be able to move from instrument to instrument in my chilly basement without being uncomfortable all the time.

This has become a real workflow problem for me.

Thanks,
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:47 pm

I find the best results in a cold space, where I can add layers when I'm not playing drums (and remove them when I am.)
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Wow, what an awesome question.

I can share some experience as someone who bikes 20 mins to work every day.

You need underwear that is polyester, or silk. A synthetic blend is pretty common, say of spandex and polyester. Just go to your local Target and look for 'performance' type clothing, for sports etc. You can usually find underwear and even shirts that are designed to wick sweat from your body.
I am the terrible byproduct of the erosion of Jeff's 'society'.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Definitely agree with Artifex on the athletic clothes approach. Wicking base layer, with something to throw on when you're not playing. I have a pair of Hot Chillys for bicycle commuting, should work great for drumming too.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:30 am

I'm a drummer/other instrument player who records myself in my basement, so I can relate. It tends to be on the cooler side down here, either from winter weather or from central air all sinking to the bottom of the house. I tend to just dress pretty normally or on the light side, because it always ends up warming up while recording, whether I'm recording myself or other people. Not sure why. Wish I could say it's from all the tubes running in the studio, ha! With drumming, gotta say it, I usually go pantsless. I'm a boxer guy, and I tend to most comfortable that way, wearing my old-man style slippers. Slippers keep my feel from the cold metal of the kick pedal which would make me too chilly, but the no pants thing keeps me cool enough since the slippers tend to warm me up. It's a perfect balance for me. Though it does change things with other folks around, haha. When I drum on other peoples' records and I'm you know, fully clothed, I don't think I'm quite as comfortable. But I don't do that often enough that I've felt the need to really work on drumming that way. </ridiculousnes>.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 am

Drumming naked is the best. It's been a really, really long time since I've done it though.
Carl Keil

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:09 am

Play nekkid?

Haven't you guys ever heard of socks?

:twisted:

Onna serious note, in recent years I have, eh, gone rather bald. This is a issue both for scoring groupies, and sweat in my eyes.

I feel like a idjit having to wear a bandanna, butt even a ball-cap doesn't prevent me going blind.

I did hear about channeling the sweat by putting a line above the eyebrows using vaseline, butt I prefer to save the that stuff for the groupies.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:35 am

what's the humidity like in your basement?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 am

jgimbel wrote: With drumming, gotta say it, I usually go pantsless. I'm a boxer guy, and I tend to most comfortable that way, wearing my old-man style slippers.
cmon you have to post a pic.

it's hot as hell in here in the summer, i play drums in just a pair of shorts, i'm drenched after one take. and i usually do like 20. i kinda like the sweat, makes me feel like i'm working. it's freezing in the winter but as everyone else noted, you warm up pretty quick playing drums. playing guitar with cold hands is the worst...

sorry snarl, i've no advice for you. although i do recommend baby powder to keep your hands from getting clammy.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Wussses. Seriously. I dont feel like I am really laying down a beat if I dont sweat. If the smell bothers you wear deodorant. If the sticky bothers you dry off with a towel.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:30 pm

This might sound totally useless, but hear me out: burn some sage (or incense, or whatever...). I used to live in PDX, and had the exact same problem in my basement. I'd be drumming and my body would sweat and stink, yet my hands and feet (and nose) would be cold. Then I'd try to switch to guitar or mixing, and everything felt gross. The whole dynamic was just really unpleasant, and it made me not want to be down there working on music... I started burning sage, which I find has a very calming, cozy effect, and suddenly the experience felt a lot less "icky," and a lot more tolerable. It's all about the vibe man, the vibe...
Alex C. McKenzie

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:51 pm

I don't mind sweating at all. Sometimes I drum real hard and long just for a good workout. I love coming up from the basement dripping with drummer sweat. And taking a shower. It's not the smell at all that bothers me. It's when I want to mix or play another instrument afterwards that I have my problem.

Honestly, the sage thing sounds worth a shot. I might try this burning 99% alcohol over epsom salts thing that I do as a "clearing" to avoid all the smoke.
Carl Keil