Re 5 watt combos, specifically the Bugera

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re 5 watt combos, specifically the Bugera

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:38 am

I know it's a little redundant in light of the Marshall and lunchbox threads, butt is anyone currently using these real little amps, and doya like 'em? (Yes, I UTSF'd.)

Specifically, I can getta Bugera for about US$100 used, locally; the reviews I find are pretty mixed, butt I'm wonderin' if that's just because it's Chinee-made, and prob'ly/mebbe by Behringer?

I know there's Crate, Orange, Marshall and mebbe Vox entries; I'm lookin' to spend as little as possible (always! :twisted: ) butt get a decent smaller amp different from my various little S/S amps, and my Pro,Jr., Marshall Jubilee and Elektar, MusicMan and Rickie stuff. My idear is it would be perhaps easier to iso ... Plus, I have G.A.S.

Wouldja buy the Bugera, or reco something?

Or is 5 watts in general not gonna mic up real well in light of the lack of air being moved, etc.?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm

I have had okay luck with a Bllackheart 5 watt combo, but I sold it and got a used Tweed Fender Bassman which kills it. I think you get what you pay for on a lot of these. IMHO buying a nicer amp used for a little more money is a wiser purchase than buying a cheapo T00B amp. I mean the Little Giant is like $300, and I got my Bassman for $400.. Sure you can get either to sound good, but there is really no comparison sonically and build-wise. Or likewise a Peavey Classic 30 can be had for $300 used and also kills. When the warranty runs out it is my expectation that a Bugera/etc will be disposable.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:45 pm

I understand your point, butt I'm specifically looking for a 5 watt amp, and wondering if the Bug is good, or if ya reco another.

Guess I should jes' said that, eh? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:35 pm

vvv wrote:I understand your point, butt I'm specifically looking for a 5 watt amp, and wondering if the Bug is good, or if ya reco another.

Guess I should jes' said that, eh? :twisted:
5 watts isn't really quiet either...don't know if that matters but I wouldn't worry about it not moving air...you definitely could gig with one easy...I did...

I've never used any Bugera but Bugera is Behringer...so take that for whatever it's worth.. However to best answer your question a trip to Guitar Center or similar is probably the only way to find out if you will like it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:22 am

Yep and yep - jes' looking for others' experiences.

Reading V.G., I see that VHT has a new one, and the Ibanez and Eggnater lunchboxes switch down.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:47 pm

The VHT special 6 is a pretty nice amp, very blackface Fenderish. I like mine. Seems well built, and stupid easy to fix or mod too, if you're into that- it's handwired on an eyelet board.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:25 am

Well, I hpe to never have to fix it, :lol: , butt modding could be fun!

I'm a look around for one of those.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:02 am

I have the VOX AC4 head and 1x12" cabinet and it sounds great. They can be really fun. I don't have personal experience with the Bug but you should just go to a store and try it out. I've had 2 Epi Jr's and although noisey (buzzy) they sounded great. A little bit of mod work quieted them down a bit.

I also have a Supro Super with a 8" jensen and it kills.
I have a 1959 tweed champ in mint condition, entirely original, and it kills.

That said, the VOX and Epi Jrs sound great and take pedals well. I'm not afraid to torture them with a big muff and octave pedal, something I would NEVER do to the champ for fear of damaging it.

So just go to the store and try the amps out. If it sounds good it sounds good.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:18 am

I've got the Vox ac4 10" combo, and really dig it. An extension cab would help open up the sound a little bit when pushed, but at low volumes, it records really well.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:59 am

I just got a Marshall Class 5 and I love it! Pure MArshall tone and it's loud for 5 watts

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:10 pm

kslight wrote: 5 watts isn't really quiet either...don't know if that matters but I wouldn't worry about it not moving air...you definitely could gig with one easy...I did...
I agree, 5 watts would be far too loud cranked up in a bedroom or whatever but the Bugera does have switchable power so it can be used at 1w and 0.1w levels as well (similar to the Vox AC4).

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:15 pm

One more vote for the Vox AC4.

Killer tone! Awesome for backstage, bedroom, or recording. You must be a fan of the Vox sound of course, the little guy really breaks up nice without earsplitting volume at the reduced output settings.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:08 pm

I have the epi valve jr head and like it even unmodded. Gotta point out that the Valve jr head does not have teh same noise issue that the combo version does. They are actually wired differently such that I think its the heater circuit in the combo is AC and on the head is DC.

I like how it sounds when you mash it with a pedal. It is actually not shabby clean either.
There is a lot to be said though for used old stuff. Something about the sound of half dead capacitors and water damaged wood (and dangerously ungrounded power supplies!). Sometimes you can find old practice amps or reel to reels in junk stores that masquerade as antique stores. The funny thing is they think they are grifting you by asking $50 for some little old box that may be worth 10 times that!
This is also where I source NOS tubes.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:17 am

A little off topic.

Big thumbs up to the guys from Blackstar Amplification.

The owners are great guys and gals with a wicked sense of humor (many ex-Marshall engineers) and they lovingly build really good sounding and versatile tube amps.

Much success!
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I have the epi valve jr head and like it even unmodded. Gotta point out that the Valve jr head does not have teh same noise issue that the combo version does. They are actually wired differently such that I think its the heater circuit in the combo is AC and on the head is DC.

I like how it sounds when you mash it with a pedal. It is actually not shabby clean either.
There is a lot to be said though for used old stuff. Something about the sound of half dead capacitors and water damaged wood (and dangerously ungrounded power supplies!). Sometimes you can find old practice amps or reel to reels in junk stores that masquerade as antique stores. The funny thing is they think they are grifting you by asking $50 for some little old box that may be worth 10 times that!
This is also where I source NOS tubes.
The combo version has had no noise issues whatsoever since the 3rd revision, unless I've got a rare one. I've modded mine quite a bit in terms of tweaks to the sound (capacitors and so on), and it's a really cool little amp. Got a nice distorted tone when cranked that sits in a mix really well, very Zuma-era Neil Young. An old 5751 tube and an 8" Jensen does wonders.