Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kRza.
pushin' record

Rolling Stones Iso'd Tracks

Post by kRza. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 am

Not sure if this has made it's way over here yet - but:

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/ ... er_listen/

Listen to the delay / verb on Mick's main vocal - tres bien. The drums, my god.

This kinda made my day & wanted to share it with you dudes.

jzombie
ass engineer

Post by jzombie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:32 pm

awesome, thanks for posting that!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Superfreakingcool!

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Punches, warts, and all. Awesome!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:02 pm

I can't believe how much shmutz there is on the vocal track, like when they're singing. And disappears beautifully the minute you add the guitar track below it. Genius.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:I can't believe how much shmutz there is on the vocal track, like when they're singing. And disappears beautifully the minute you add the guitar track below it. Genius.
Yeah there is a lot of that kind of random clipping, like the mic just poops out a little on some loud parts.

Also interesting how little hi hat and how much aux percussion there is on the drum track.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:45 pm

johnny7 wrote:Punches, warts, and all. Awesome!
Slash & burn recording at its best. I love the completely different sections in the first guitar track.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am

Mary Claton's vocal on that track always gave me chills, but to hear it nekkid? :shock:

Rape! Murder! It's just a shot away! It's just a shot away!

Maybe the best few seconds of anything ever caught on tape.

Funny though... even isolated I still can't make out 3/4ths of the lyrics.

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:28 am

My favorite Stones' song, no less. This song is apocalyptic. It should be the soundtrack for when the sun explodes or when the comet hits. The dinosaurs would have really dug this.

Merry Clayton just kills it.

I love the punched in guitars. Keef's just a soul machine. I wonder if that was an Ampeg he was playing through.

Watts and Wyman, jeez. Great attack on the bass. I'm sure they cut their tracks and then left to have a "spot of tea". Fantastic energy with the band at their peak.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 am

Jitters wrote:Mary Claton's vocal on that track always gave me chills, but to hear it nekkid? :shock:

Rape! Murder! It's just a shot away! It's just a shot away!

Maybe the best few seconds of anything ever caught on tape.

Was thinking the same thing. The part where her voice cracks kills me everytime.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:38 am

Isn't this more like "Listening to Other Music"?
Anyway, I posted over there that "Helter Skelter" tracks are also up.

And now the last tracks on the "Gimme Shelter" are gone (beware of ABKCO! George was right!).

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 am

CraigS63 wrote:Isn't this more like "Listening to Other Music"?
Anyway, I posted over there that "Helter Skelter" tracks are also up.

And now the last tracks on the "Gimme Shelter" are gone (beware of ABKCO! George was right!).
:( :x :evil:

Dang it! Went out to listen at lunch and they're gone!!!!!!!!

PM me if anyone has another place to hear these.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 am

Disappointing that they got pulled, I guess there's more revenue yet to be extracted from them :(

I was going to comment that playing these solo'd tracks for new bands coming to record the first time would, I think, be pretty beneficial (well, perhaps not vocs!). I remember hearing some similar tracks of James Jameson. While I don't pretend to be as good as either he or Mr. Wyman, the tracks are less than "perfect" in ways someone new to it all might be surprised to hear (e.g., goofy grace notes, imperfect slides, etc.). I think it would take some pressure off (the bad kind of pressure) and remind the person to play the song the way they hear it and have been playing it, not to adjust too much to the recording environment.

I could see a counter-argument that it might make people to lackadaisical, but I think that's less of a risk.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:51 am

comfortstarr wrote:Disappointing that they got pulled, I guess there's more revenue yet to be extracted from them :(

I was going to comment that playing these solo'd tracks for new bands coming to record the first time would, I think, be pretty beneficial (well, perhaps not vocs!). I remember hearing some similar tracks of James Jameson. While I don't pretend to be as good as either he or Mr. Wyman, the tracks are less than "perfect" in ways someone new to it all might be surprised to hear (e.g., goofy grace notes, imperfect slides, etc.). I think it would take some pressure off (the bad kind of pressure) and remind the person to play the song the way they hear it and have been playing it, not to adjust too much to the recording environment.

I could see a counter-argument that it might make people to lackadaisical, but I think that's less of a risk.
I think I was thinking kindof the flipside to this. Could this even be a "major release" today? If these were the tracks that got laid down today, it would be some poor shlub's job to stay up all night "fixing" it in ProTools. Not that that would happen. There'd be 100 guitar takes and the end track would be a comped together, smooth sounding monstrosity. And this song, as recorded, could never come into being. Not by a "legitimate" band going through a "legitimate" process.

I mean, me, in my shitty little studio with my shitty little songs would freak out and rerecord if stuff came out so rough sounding. I gotta try this.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 pm

comfortstarr wrote:Disappointing that they got pulled, I guess there's more revenue yet to be extracted from them :(

I was thinking the same thing! The way things are currently recorded for mass hits, no, this couldn't be a "major release", but the only conclusion that comes from that to me is that all those "perfecting" tricks that are done now aren't really necessary. To me it's just solid proof of letting your ears guide you and nothing else. When we're hating bleed like headphone bleed in vocals (or other full instruments in the guitars in the tracks that have no been taken down), are we hating it because it's actually sounding bad or distracting, or just because it seems like it should be because it wasn't decisively put there?

Then again I'm a huge believer in using early takes, not doing many punch ins (if any), and loving the warts that get left in songs if it really was a magical take. And I'm not an older purist working in tape, I'm what some people would over-generalize as some young guy working digitally, in a real where it could be easy to be a slave to crappy over-processing and what not. Yet I think I've got much, much more in common with purist working purely analog, imposing my own limits and working off them. So if some young, purely digital "kid" can see that all the heavy processing in "major hits" now isn't necessary (and just doesn't sound good) and there are many others with the same views as myself, and more every day, then I'd say there's potential for what "qualifies" for a major hit (and as a "legitimate process") to change, back to something GOOD. Rant over, phew!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com