build spring reverb schematics/plans- wanted

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
juanmaclean666
audio school graduate

build spring reverb schematics/plans- wanted

Post by juanmaclean666 » Sat May 31, 2003 9:24 am

I want to build my own spring reverb, one with discrete electronics. All of the plans I have are for guitar type things, use TL074's, and although it may seem excessive for a spring unit, I want to try discrete. I want to build something more like the AKG BX style, like a big thing to keep in the studio. Tube would be even better.
I've seen the inside of some of the AKG's. They did not use enclosed Accutronics style springs, they had these big springs that were like a couple of feet long. Would those just have been some proprietary thing that AKG made just for those units? Looking around, Accutronics seems to be the only good choice, and again, those seem like they are made for guitar amps.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Juan

ciminosound
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: build spring reverb schematics/plans- wanted

Post by ciminosound » Sat May 31, 2003 12:17 pm

Try the Accutronics website for some info. There's some stuff there. They have some references to sound reinforcement things. Look at the Technicians File Cabinet site Pro Audio Section, I think I say some stuff there.

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

http://www.one-electron.com/filing_cab.html

Here's a copy of something called the MicMix Spring Reverb, and a Paia unit that is interesting because it uses two different tanks.

http://electronics.audiopervert.com/micmix_index.htm

http://www.paia.com/hotsprgs.htm

I don't see why the stand alone Fender Tube reverb unit wouldn't work for things other than guitar. The only thing really in the circuit with a bandwidth issue is the spring reverb itself.

http://www1.korksoft.com/~schem/fenderheaven.htm

Just some ideas....good luck.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat May 31, 2003 11:07 pm

I'd put my vote toward buying a good spring reverb instead. I picked up a mono micmix/masterroom a while back & it sounds pretty amazing--don't know if it's discreet or not, but it, um, sounds pretty amazing. & for what I spent on it (55.00), I don't think one could make a better diy spring reverb.

That's my thought anyway.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:53 am

I also have a stereo MicMix MasterRoom reverb and it's a fun box. I think mine sounds like a cheap digital recerb at times (think old Alesis XTc), but it's still a fun box. I prefer the old Furman RV-1 to the MasterRoom though. I also have a cool Orban unit that rocks too.

Look into that Paia kit if you want to start with something, and eventually swap stuff out.... Take their circuit and swap out your own tube circuit once you realize what their amplifers are doing. Swap out the springs for another setup....soon, you've replaced their whole circuit!

Roger

juanmaclean666
audio school graduate

Post by juanmaclean666 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:30 am

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, pretty much piecing stuff together from other schematics. This may sound insane, well I guess it is, but I want to make a stereo tube unit with Jensen transformers, with 3 seperate spring units - small, medium, large, the ability to switch to either one or run them together.
I've never done a tube line driver before, and it's a quite simple circuit, but it scares me a little working with tubes.
Juan

ciminosound

Post by ciminosound » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:06 pm

Cool Juan. I've been tossing around a very similar idea. You've put more thought into it than I have yet. It's low on my to do list. Are you gonna add any EQ?

Tubes aren't difficult to work with. They're the whole reason I learned electronics to begin with. I always got the hand me down hi fi stuff growing up in the late 60's early 70's. When I got the first hand me down solid state stereo I wondered where the sound went. It's been down hill ever since. I'm actually writing out ideas for a 16 channel mixer. All transformer coupled, subminiature tubes (also known as pencil tubes, 6021, 6112 ect.. Low microphonics and to help keep the size of the thing down) passive eq (think pultec). Maybe even some dynamics, but there's too many flavors of compression so that will most likely stay outboard, plus the size thing again. I haven't convinced myself that I'm actually going to do it yet. Pretty daunting task, the metalwork needed ect. It's not a simple clone that you can track down off the shelf parts for. If I decide to proceed it will be the most ambitious project ever for me.

citizenkeith
alignin' 24-trk

Post by citizenkeith » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:43 pm

I picked up a Furman RV-1 (with an Effectron delay) for $100 total. I was considering the DIY route too, but after hearing the Furman I'm glad I didn't bother. I really like the EQ control on it.

juanmaclean666
audio school graduate

Post by juanmaclean666 » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:54 pm

I wasn't gonna put an eq on it, but I did want to put a resonant hi/low pass filter on the output.
I've never done a tube circuit, but it does seem easier in some ways. Maybe I'll start with a basic one, a real basic line driver. I wish there was someplace to get really detailed plans on something like that. There are a couple of schematics on the Jensen sight that look good, but I want more direction than just a schematic. I'm just afraid I'm gonna power the thing up and start a fire or something.
Juan

ciminosound

Post by ciminosound » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:24 pm

Juan, have you ever visited the tech talk forun at recording.org? We're very active over there with DIY. Join and scout all the threads. Lotsa info and links.
I recommend it to all interested in DIY.

gyraf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gyraf » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:25 am

Yep, the TechTalk forum at recording.org is a very nice place for all kinds of diy audio projects..

For your spring reverb - you say you'd like it AKG BX-style. Now, AKG does their spring reverbs differently from all others in that they use a dual-pickup system in both ends of the springs, effectively driving and picking up at both ends at the same time. This is done by an impressive circuit, which will also allow you to adjust the reverb time continuously..!

Jakob E.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:43 am

Anyone know anything about these? Good for anything?

Two (2) Gibbs (Hammond) large spring reverb tanks These are new (unused). The label says:
Gibbs Special Products -
Reverberation Unit
Janesville WI
Subsidiary of Hammond Corporation
There are RCA jacks for input and output. The part is stamped 25-0007.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:01 am

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:32 am

This url was posted somewhere else--
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/rvbapps.htm
I've only glanced at it, but it looks like a good resource for diy springverb stuff.

flatrockmobile
audio school

Post by flatrockmobile » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:45 am

I built the Paia unit about 16 or 17 years ago. Sounded ok if you like boingy, boingy when you drive it more than lightly. Sounded ok returned to a mixer channel with a little delay added. Got a Midiverb 2 when they first came out and put the paia out to paiasture.

flatrockmobile
audio school

Post by flatrockmobile » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:50 am

Oh yeah, also built a 3' x 6' homemade plate reverb. Sounded much better than the spring. Used a "turn a door into a speaker" driver and a barcus berry acoustic guitar pickup returned to a channel.