best/worst garage sale deal.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

in2thegapagain85
ass engineer

Post by in2thegapagain85 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:37 pm

A buddy of mine scored an old fender Rhodes for $5...works perfect!

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 pm

yeah, i'm totally grateful. daily, whenever i walk into their presence. just recently i got avedis' LINE PAD-Z s to run mono or stereo material through them.

i got a locobox on ebay uk for i think $200. he spelled loco box or choker wrong. this is after the jason faulkner article was about 5 years old i think. i gave up looking. happened upon the article, ebayed and saw one in the uk. i bid, expecting to open up a box of tumbleweeds, but it was there, works and with the original box!

DaveWalwark
audio school

YES

Post by DaveWalwark » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Lovin all these stories people. APIs are a hard act to follow but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Korg DSS-1 Sampling Keyboard: $10 .... worked great even though they thought something was wrong with it... eventually sold it for 110 so someone else got a decent deal later ;)

Peavey 701R Rack Mixer with spring reverb: $7 at a the church that was by my gradeschool. It is still barely functioning as a PA mixer. The reverb send seems to sound like a treble boost now... not sure what's going on with it nowadays.

Huge Pile of Vacuum Tubes including a worthwhile quantity of 12A(UTX)7s (like 12) and a goodly quantity of 6l6s (like 8) and tons more misc: $20

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

steal

Post by lukievan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:09 am

saw the "brains" of a '67 deluxe reverb that had been pulled out of the cabinet and were just sitting on some stuff at a yard sale in austin. I asked the guy if he had the cabinet and speaker and he went to his garage and dug it up. he wanted $10 bucks for the whole thing. of course i've put hundreds of dollars into it since then....but damn, it's a sweet amp.

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 am

almost all my stuff has been a flea market/garage sale/thrift store score.....
couple of my favs: EH mini-synth at the local flea market(RIP). guy was asking $5, i got it for $3. pretty neat, but not my thing, so i sold it for $350. same flea market, skb case with a gk400, and an ashly preamp. got it for $60. sold the case for $60, and the ashly for $75. still have the 400rb.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:00 pm

nobody, really wrote:almost all my stuff has been a flea market/garage sale/thrift store score.....
One time a band was up in my old studio space. One of the band members was a producer guy. Forget his name. He dissed my rack as looking "like a bunch of stuff scrounged from flea markets and garage sales."
Of course not said to my face.
Honestly though, who cares what it looks like if it sounds good.
Oh right, glam rockers.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Found a Wurlitzer 200a in the trash down the street. It's got problems, but I figure if I throw a couple hundred bucks at it, it'll be a neat thing to have around.

When I was 16, I missed a Les Paul Jr. at a garage sale for $100. I couldn't get them to hold it for me till I got back with the $.

ddorman
studio intern

Post by ddorman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:05 pm

I just got a THD Hotplate for $3 at a swap meet. The sticker said $5 on it, it was kind of dirty and looked like maybe it had been wet. I said I'll give you three bucks and he said okay. Took it home, just cleaned it up and it works great!

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:07 pm

To the OP: I'm not a particularly emotional guy, but I almost shed a tear at hearing about $1 mic's and $2 pedals. Now all I need is a time machine...

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:41 am

I couldn't get it for $5, but I found a '77 Rhodes on craigslist for $400. Turns out it was pulled from an Amtrak lounge car (it's even got the Amtrak logo on it). The box it sits on is beat to hell and I had a guy do a few adjustments to it, but overall it's in great shape.

And more recently, I found a Univox 12-String acoustic guitar on CL for $80. Know absolutely nothing about it and I'll need to get it set up, but it's in surprisingly great condition for the price.

Also via craigslist, I traded a guy my Peavey classic 50/50 power amp + 4x12 cab for a mid-70s Ampeg VT-40. Again, not a HUGE deal (financially, speaking) but it made me fall in love with my guitars all over again.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02 am

Int'l Feel wrote:Also via craigslist, I traded a guy my Peavey classic 50/50 power amp + 4x12 cab for a mid-70s Ampeg VT-40. Again, not a HUGE deal (financially, speaking) but it made me fall in love with my guitars all over again.
I can relate there. I traded a Crate Palamino V50 for a 1960s Ampeg Reverberocket II. That line of Crate amps is surprisingly good (having never liked another crate amp) but I've never an amp's reverb as much as the Ampeg's. The amp's being a little futzy right now but I love just turning it to a nice volume, cranking the reverb and playing for an hour.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 pm

An RCA BA6A, a Gates Sta-Level, and 2 Ampex 351s for 250.00...