Drip Electronics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Drip Electronics

Post by TV Lenny » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:56 am

Hi,

Anyone order and build any pcb's from Drip Electronics? I'm thinking about future projects and they have some rather attractive stuff.

Thanks,
Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Yes. I've built two of Drip's LA2A boards and can't say enough good things about them. Have no fear as all of his offerings are of the highest quality with amazing instructions. I'd love to build his Fairchild project someday when funds permit.

Cheers,
--
Don

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Ditto. I built an LA2A and have another in the works as funds permits. Great stuff, great instructions and Drip is very helpful and nice to deal with.

Hey idylldon, not to hijack the thread but what tranny's did you use in your LA2A's? I used the Sowters but didn't use the ones closest to the originals. I am going to use those on my second build and see what the difference is.

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 pm

T-rex wrote:Hey idylldon, not to hijack the thread but what tranny's did you use in your LA2A's? I used the Sowters but didn't use the ones closest to the originals. I am going to use those on my second build and see what the difference is.
I think I used Jensens on the first one and Sowters on the second one. I'll have to peer behind the rack to make sure, but that's what I remember. Frankly, I don't hear a whole lot of difference between them!

Cheers,
--
Don

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 am

whats the deal with the drip stuff?
do you buy complete kits or what?
its really hard to source stuff where im at.

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:09 am

timadamson wrote:whats the deal with the drip stuff?
do you buy complete kits or what?
its really hard to source stuff where im at.
Drip supplies the printed circuit boards and detailed assembly instructions. He also has the T4B optical unit for LA2A as well.

For parts suppliers, pretty much everything (other than the audio transformers) can be found at:

www.mouser.com
www.digikey.com

There are other suppliers as well.

Where are you located?

Cheers,
--
Don

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 pm

ok interesting.
Im very keen on building something and the drip stuff looks great quality.
What i ment by hard to source stuff was that, as far as I'm away theres no store that i can walk into and ask about the things i need and therefore learn. Rather than just get what i need from a site.
Definatly not agains buying things from a site but I feel at this point I need to learn than just follow instructions.
Im in sydney.

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:09 pm

If you're in Australia, check out the excellent stuff from your countryman JLM Audio if you haven't already.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm

wow cool.
is that the same deal with drip. you buy the plans and the board?
looks like ill need a few other things to run a single cannel opto

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 am

Has anybody built one of the Drip Opto 4 or 5 (LA2A) boards in past few months...or heard anything about future PCB availability?

billkahler
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by billkahler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 am

I built a Drip LA2A and its really great. About 7 bills with a case from Purusha. Absolutely love it on vocals.
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 am

We have a drip LA-2A (earlier opto board, I can't remember which revision) and a pair of the Redd 47s. They're all fantastic. Just be sure you're comfortable working with high voltage circuits!

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 pm

I built two LA2As (version 2, I think). I'm halfway through a pair of Redd47s as well. I love the LA2As.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:We have a drip LA-2A (earlier opto board, I can't remember which revision) and a pair of the Redd 47s. They're all fantastic. Just be sure you're comfortable working with high voltage circuits!
I've got an Opto4 on order!

Marc, this will be my first high voltage build. I understand the basic safety concerns regarding high voltage projects....to disconnect the unit from live voltage when working on the circuit, that capacitors can store lethal charges and to discharge these components and then check for charge with multimeter, to be mindful of what both hands are touching at all times (one hand in pocket method), to thoroughly inspect component orientations, wear eye protection, etc.....

Are there any other safety protocols or suggestions that you could relay, particularly related to your experience with the Drip Opto build? I've heard some people advise to leave a drain load across significant charge-storage components while working. Would a safe drain be to place a 10k/100k/220k/470k 10W resistor between V1 pin1 and the chassis while working (with power off)?

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:57 pm

i use a wooden chopstick to poke around... anyway, Im halfway through a Redd 47 and there are bleeder resistors that drain out the caps on the board. im guessing there are probably the same thing on the Opto board. just wait a minute after unplugging to start working on it.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic