Rosetta 800 FW into PT 9 on iMac

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Rosetta 800 FW into PT 9 on iMac

Post by AK Audio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 pm

I've just installed PT 9.0.1 on my new iMac. I had been running PT 8 for a while without a hitch. I then sold my 003r for the Apogee Rosetta 800, which I just got in the mail today. I've installed the X-FW card, and all appears to be in order.

Now I'm attempting to hook up the Rosetta to PT and PT is still only recognizing 2 in & 2 out. I've set my Rosetta analog output source to 'option'. When I go into PT's I/O, it doesn't allow me to assign any additional outputs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

I'd say you need to trash the preferences so that your session will recognize the i/o of the rosetta.

Then maybe start a new session, and go to the i/o menu and you should see it available. Then save you settings as....and import into your current session or any presvious session.

no?

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 am

Well, after several hours I think I finally figured it out... sort of. The Rosetta is showing up as my audio device and I've reassigned my i/o accordingly. Surprisingly there's really not much info out there on this process... at least not that I found.

However, what I am now afraid of is the fact that PT only recognizes the Rosetta as having 8 inputs. Prior to purchasing this unit I was (poorly?) informed that the 800 was capable of receiving both 8 analog inputs and 8 ADAT inputs simultaneously at 44.1 - is this false? If so, that really sucks. I've got an ISA 428 with the digital option that will essentially just go to waste. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:42 am

AK Audio wrote:Well, after several hours I think I finally figured it out... sort of. The Rosetta is showing up as my audio device and I've reassigned my i/o accordingly. Surprisingly there's really not much info out there on this process... at least not that I found.

However, what I am now afraid of is the fact that PT only recognizes the Rosetta as having 8 inputs. Prior to purchasing this unit I was (poorly?) informed that the 800 was capable of receiving both 8 analog inputs and 8 ADAT inputs simultaneously at 44.1 - is this false? If so, that really sucks. I've got an ISA 428 with the digital option that will essentially just go to waste. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

You need to understand how the Core Audio drivers work for your Rosetta converter.

This is INDEPENDENT of Pro Tools, or any other DAW software you might use.

Please consult the Rosetta manual, or contact them as to how to use all the IO on your converter.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am

I thnk you have been misinformed. It can only do 8 channels of a/d and d/a at the same time. This is why I am holding onto my 003r and continue to use the adat input for my lynx aurora 8.
Last edited by ott0bot on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I was definitely misinformed. Major bummer, as I was planning on using the ISA for an additional 8 channels of input, as it functioned quite nicely with my 003r.

Well, looks like I'm back to square one. I'm curious about the Rosettas & linking via X-FW. Has anyone done this with an iMac? Is it possible to daisy-chain another unit, say, the Rosetta & Lynx Aurora w/ FW card?

I'm not throwing in the towel quite yet, but it looks like I'll need to reconsider my setup. As for now, I have the 428 (8 channels A/D), the Rosetta 800 (8 channels A/D/A) and I need to connect to my iMac. It is possible that I could upgrade to another computer system, but I wouldn't count on it for now.

Any suggestions out there?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:13 pm

AK Audio wrote:Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I was definitely misinformed. Major bummer, as I was planning on using the ISA for an additional 8 channels of input, as it functioned quite nicely with my 003r.

Well, looks like I'm back to square one. I'm curious about the Rosettas & linking via X-FW. Has anyone done this with an iMac? Is it possible to daisy-chain another unit, say, the Rosetta & Lynx Aurora w/ FW card?

I'm not throwing in the towel quite yet, but it looks like I'll need to reconsider my setup. As for now, I have the 428 (8 channels A/D), the Rosetta 800 (8 channels A/D/A) and I need to connect to my iMac. It is possible that I could upgrade to another computer system, but I wouldn't count on it for now.

Any suggestions out there?
You can't run two seperate firewire devices in pro tools, AFAIK. You can set them up as aggragate devices in the Audio Devices menu on the mac osx, but pt will have clocking issues and crash if you try to use them both in a session.

But there is a product that may fit the niche. The don't make it anymore, but take a look at the Presonus FireStudio Lightpipe.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuLP.
It has 32 adat i/o and it connects with a firewire connection. It has analog outs for monitoring and headphones...but that would be the only d/a conversion that the actual unit is doing. You may have to get a master clock to sync everthing together, like the BLA micro clock, but that will improve the d/a of the presonus unit too. The other possible downside is you may be limited to using 48k via adat...which to me is not a big deal, but if you are doing and work for HD films...you may want 96k or 192k.

There are other units too....like the RME Fireface UFX, which has multiple adat inputs so you can utilize all 16 channels of your devices. But that sucker is around 2g's. There is also the Motu 896mk3, with a about half the price.

hope that helps.

starbearer76
alignin' 24-trk

Post by starbearer76 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

from what i've heard of the units that are like this.. 8 analog I/0 and two sets of adat ports for about 700-1200 dollar range, the profire2626 i prefer the most and its not even the most expensive one. its just a little bit scoped sounding, but in listening to the D/A it has a lot of headroom and the bass isn't as muddy as the others in this price range. The high frequencies are not nearly as sand in the ear-ish as the rme fireface. Its bass frequencies are more defined than on the motu 828mkIII. The only thing lacking i think is the mid section and it would be hard to keep yourself for over compensating and ending up with a way too mid heavy of a mix.

i wouldn't own a profire2626 but i was stuck with one, well i'd prefer it over the other ones in that range. i would even use it over the rosetta actually. the rosetta to me doesn't sound THAT much better. especially when you consider the price gap. and when i say not much better i mean to say pretty much the same as far as overall sonic quality.

just my opinion anyway.
get your ears professionally flushed at least once every two years. the best gear upgrade you'll ever purchase.