Michael Joly "Disappeared" from GS

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 am

Producer/Engineer wrote:Excellent news! Having Jolly here is a huge plus. He is an excellent writer and valuable member. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more of his posts. I think what happened to him on GS is BS.
One of the reasons I'm here is because of the lack of politics and the level of respect that abides here.
Ditto - sending a pair of 603's out next week for the Ultimate mod. Stoked about it!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Since arriving at GS in 2009, I have seen a few pros leave for political reasons. I have never seen someone being delete/banned for doing something perfectly within their rights. In no way is Micheal jeopardising his membership at GS with the conversation he has shown here.

I left that page baffled as to why you had been removed, absolutely baffled.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Who cares, Gearslutz has the worst attitudes ever on that forum. I say good riddance.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Who cares, Gearslutz has the worst attitudes ever on that forum. I say good riddance.
On the other hand, it was probably a good way for MJ to get his name and products out there in front of a [largely] appreciative audience. I hope his bottom line doesn't suffer. With it would maybe go some R&D and possible future great things that the slutz woulda drooled on.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Sry. First ever dp on this mb.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:01 am

Brett Siler:

I cant agree with that with what I have seen so far, GS members have only been appreciate of my input and not one person has said anything slightly offensive towards me, nor any other member from posts I have read. This is not saying it doesn't happen, I am just yet to see it having only been a member there a couple of years so far.

Tape OP and GS are the best pro audio forums that I know of still. Electrical is good in the tech section, but its not active enough there unless you start posts yourself.

The general section has some interesting posts, but I prefer more "serious" discussions....sadly

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks again for the welcome back. The Tape Op message board was my first forum home.

Since I wasn't given the opportunity to respond to my accusers at Gearslutz or offer evidence in my defense I'll have more to say about online forums in general and Gearslutz in particular over the next few days - here, at the TOMB.

mshilarious
audio school

Post by mshilarious » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:42 am

Michael_Joly wrote:Thanks again for the welcome back. The Tape Op message board was my first forum home.

Since I wasn't given the opportunity to respond to my accusers at Gearslutz or offer evidence in my defense I'll have more to say about online forums in general and Gearslutz in particular over the next few days - here, at the TOMB.
Sounds interesting, I look forward to hearing it . . .

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Michael_Joly wrote:Thanks again for the welcome back. The Tape Op message board was my first forum home.

I have read a lot of your posts over at the other board and must say that you are indeed a wealth of useful information, so I am super excited to have the opportunity to enjoy your insights minus all of the drama. I don't think that you'll run into the same negativity here that you may have encountered elsewhere. The thing I love about this place is that people on the whole try to be constructive and when people disagree, they usually keep it respectful, or try not to overstate their dislike for someone elses opinion. To that end, we should be careful about waxing too negative about GS or the other boards, lest we become too much like everyone else.

Super excited to have you here. Your threads were a big reason I visited the other board. Big welcome.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:44 pm

I have had the very unfortunate experience of being falsely accused by people who weren't even willing tell me what I was being accused of. And let me tell you, it sucks. I have no desire to see flame wars, or any of that other bs here on TapeOp. But Michael, if you've got something you need to get off your chest and it's gotta be done in the public eye, you've earned the right as far as I'm concerned.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

All I can say is that it's the other forums loss. Mr. Joly takes the time to answer nearly any question, whether it be a novice trying to do his first mod, or an expert looking to improve his skill. He even started a loaner program with a pair of his modded mics to people starting out recording.

good company, for sure.