cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am

Active JRS-34.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:51 pm

cjac9 wrote:Active JRS-34.
Oh...duh...that's all they make! I'd expect a Steven Sank desinged ribbon to be pretty steller. I hope you enjoy it!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:26 pm

I vote for SM7. I know they get a lot of love around here, but I'm not just getting caught up in it. I'm amazed with how much more I like SM7 on guitar cab than SM57. I kind of think of it as doing the same job as an AT4050 - presenting the sound naturally without being sterile - but when I want the sound of a dynamic. The SM7 is the mic I go to when a guitar or bass cab is sounding perfect in the room and I want to capture that. It's also PERFECT on the right vocals, I used it on the album I'm working on with literally no EQ. It worked well when I tried it on floor tom and on rack toms as well, though I didn't like it the one time I tried it on kick (just wasn't right for the song). I'm almost embarrassed to say I've been using the SM7 and AT4050 on almost everything since I got them. They're just usually the sound I'm looking for.

raweber
studio intern

Post by raweber » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:51 pm

I was just recommended today by some folks in the business that you can't go wrong with a C414 and a Royer ribbon. You can pretty much mic everything in the world wonderfully with that combination.
Rob in Virginia
Music Production Blog: www.notesfromtheshore.com
Free Praise Music: www.allthingsnewminstries.org

Music is organized sound... with emotion.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:41 pm

raweber wrote:I was just recommended today by some folks in the business that you can't go wrong with a C414 and a Royer ribbon. You can pretty much mic everything in the world wonderfully with that combination.
Good Advice
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:
raweber wrote:I was just recommended today by some folks in the business that you can't go wrong with a C414 and a Royer ribbon. You can pretty much mic everything in the world wonderfully with that combination.
Good Advice
+1. Definitely a great duo to have. I like the C414, but after comparing the two I went with the 4050. It'd be nice to have those other patterns as options, but I don't feel cheated with just the three. A Royer is something I'm hoping to save up for within the next year. Droolworthy yet not completely unattainable.

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 am

With so many good product choices out there and working within a typically miniscule home recording budget, I finally ended up with a Royer 121, a Soundelux U195, and an EV RE20. All I can say is I have never had reason to second guess the decision.
dino
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Update

Post by cjac9 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:07 pm

So I've had the Cloud JRS and 4050 for sometime now and I feel like the Cloud is a little overkill for my situation. I'm in a home studio and if I want to use really fancy mics I just go to a real studio anyway or I can rent them for a month from Rock and Roll Rentals in Austin.

For what it's worth, I record acoustic/folk singer-songwriters most of the time. Might record a guitar with a touch of OD like 1 out of 10 times. No pianos or drums in the home studio.

How's this sound??

-Michael Joly modified Oktava 012 for acoustic inst. overdubs, maybe perc. too
-SM7 to have a different flavor for vocals (usually rent Peluso 47, 251 or C12 clone)
-Cascade Fathead or Fathead II to mix with 57 on electric guitar and harsher perc. Or should I go with the Gomez?

All mics run through FMR RNP or BLA Digi003 pre's w/ exception of rented mics. Rented Neve Portico typically.

Thanks!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:09 am

jaguarsg wrote:coles 4038 will smoke any AEA.
I think I'd rather have an AEA R44C over a Coles, even a pair, any day of the week.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:03 pm

bump on my most recent post

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Re: Update

Post by Producer/Engineer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 pm

cjac9 wrote:How's this sound??

-Michael Joly modified Oktava 012 for acoustic inst. overdubs, maybe perc. too
-SM7 to have a different flavor for vocals (usually rent Peluso 47, 251 or C12 clone)
-Cascade Fathead or Fathead II to mix with 57 on electric guitar and harsher perc. Or should I go with the Gomez?
Personally, I like the Peluso CEMC 6 on acoustic guitar but if that's out of your price range, I'd use an Audio Technica 4041. I've never been thrilled with the consistency of the Oktava 012's.

The SM7 is a winner on many vocals and often works well with singer/songwriters. Sounds great on guitar amps too, in fact, I prefer it over the SM57 for that application.

The Gomez is a definite step up over the Fathead and worth the extra money. Not to say that the Fathead ll is bad. Both mics come without ribbon sag! Shinybox also makes very good ribbon mics that are high quality as well.

* Note: a Triton Fethead will do wonders for the SM7 AND the ribbon mics! Well worth the price!

http://tritonaudio.com/index.php?sectio ... &Itemid=33

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:16 am

Producer/Engineer wrote:
Personally, I like the Peluso CEMC 6 on acoustic guitar but if that's out of your price range, I'd use an Audio Technica 4041. I've never been thrilled with the consistency of the Oktava 012's.
Honestly, that's less expensive than the modded 012 I was going to get. I'm really intrigued! Is it a clone or an original design, just curious?

Gomez it is...

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 am

cjac9 wrote:
Producer/Engineer wrote:
Honestly, that's less expensive than the modded 012 I was going to get. I'm really intrigued! Is it a clone or an original design, just curious?

Gomez it is...
Hi cjac9, I guess you are referring to the Peluso CEMC6? If you are, I wouldn't call it a "clone" but I would call it modeled after the Schopes CMC6. A single mic is just under $300. and sounds like a grand! I shot out 8 other mics against it on acoustic guitar and it was heads and sholders above everything else!

Here's a link to check out:

http://nickspicks.com/?p=37

There are lots of engineers that love this mic on acoustic strings, pianos, overheads and acoustic guitars. It's a "go to" for me on all of those instruments. I sometimes use the omni head too, especially in a very good sounding room.
Last edited by Producer/Engineer on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 am

If anyone's interested, here's where I'm selling the Cloud:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=77008
Last edited by cjac9 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:24 am

at pro37r