PT 9 and hardware compatibility...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wedge
tinnitus

PT 9 and hardware compatibility...

Post by wedge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Now that 'tools has been unhooked from specific hardware, are there still arcane and inconvenient computer hardware restrictions (chipset, etc.), or can you confidently load it on just about any computer, without worry, like every other DAW?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Sorta....

You still need an iLok key with the PT9 license. If you have one for plug ins already....you are set. If not, you'll need to buy one (the full version of PT 9 comes with the new iLok key 2). When you purchase PT9 it comes with that license, so you need to create a free iLok account and then upload the license from the iLok site onto your key. The iLok key has to stay in the computer to run pro tools. This is standard practice for plug ins these days. Still a little annoying to me personally....but I guess it will keep the software from being pirated easily.

But, you can install in on other computers, use the iLok to authorize it, and you can use any interface you'd like.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 pm

I was thinking more in terms of systems that the software will successfully install and run on. Most software, including daws, install flawlessly on just about any combination of chipsets and cpus. PTs historically has been a bit of a nightmare in this regard. I'm hoping that, even with the ilock, now that PTs is unhooked from digi hardware, that one doesn't have to make sure and buy a compatible computer/chipsets/CPU, and that it'll run on most any computer combo... True?

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:47 pm

I think that's less of a problem than in the past. Been reading a bit on forums and that's the impression I'm getting (totally non-scientific observation so take with salt). See avid's compatibility info page for PT9. Note the lack of specific CPU chipset requirements like before. I still think it's smart to stick with TI firewire chipsets in general.

I'm real excited to make the switch. ADC!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:48 pm

I'd say no problem with a recent Mac computer.

As to Windows : ???
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 pm

oh...welll...duh

ummm. It has always worked on my Mac's,
so I dunno.

I do know they suggest using esata drives over firewire now, and the more ram the better, but not sure about processers or motherboard compatability.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

i think there are far more specific cases of incompatible hardware now, than in the past when there were specific cases of hardware compatibility.

head over to the DUC pt9 on windows section and ask if you've got a question about a specific hardware component.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13 pm

I should have specified. I'm talking Windows 7 on a new HP laptop. I'll hit up the PT9 Windows forum, but if anyone has any personal experience?

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:32 am

is it a core i7?

i don't have personal experience with chips that new but there is a thread there (on the DUC) for people to post performance and experience with i7 based computers.

my experience with PT9 hasn't been bug free. nothing that's preventing my work or affecting my mixes. but i've gotten come strange crackle thing when punching in/out that is somewhat distracting and and weird auto input bug were i can head both the input to a track and the audio on the track at the same time until i punch in... that last one comes and goes.
thankfully my clients have been understanding about it.

i'm excited to have the new features like ADC and OMF capability (which showed up just in time for me to mix my first independent movie)
-Justin Newton

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm running PT9 on a Dell Inspiron 560 (Q8300, 6GB ram) with win7 x64 and an 002r. It works pretty well. I also have a UAD-2 solo. To use it I have to crank the samples up to max and use large latency comp (cause its like 2048 samples or something).

the only other thing is that sometimes if I leave PT9 up and running and idle, then walk away and come back later, it does very strange stuff. the audio is distorted and actually records like that - its not just on playback. a complete reboot and power cycle of everything and its fine again. I suspect that this is related to Win7 putting something to sleep - possibly even my firewire card. I've attempted to disable every little bit of power saving crap in the BIOS and in Win7 but still experience this once in a while. It could be that something is happening to the DAE in memory if some power saving mode kicks in. If I exit out of PT9 before walking away its fine too. Its a drag when someone is waiting to record and then we have to power cycle everything. I haven't seen anything on the DUC yet so maybe its just my setup...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:01 am

yea, that sounds like you need to go through the win7 optimizations sheet on the avid site. turn off putting hard drives to sleep and stuff.

i'm getting word that the bugs i'm having with crackly punching in and out is related to the 002/003 drivers so i'm waiting for those to be updated...

if you aren't using those you shouldn't have that problem.

i cant remember is the OP looking to get into pro tools for the first time? if so they would surely be looking at other interfaces so my experience doesn't matter to that!
-Justin Newton

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm

ahh, but I am using the 002/003 drivers and that's what I suspect the problem is as well. Before I had win7, I had XP and PTLE 7 and 8. PTLE 8 had horrible problems with crackly audio and weird bursts of white noise. well thankfully they fixed it - or at least most of it. I think this problem I'm seeing is related though. In fact I had it with Win7 and PTLE 8.04 also, then went to PT9 and still have it happen. so I'm waiting for the driver update too... I really hope that fixes it. I just recently bought a BLA modded 002r (instead of having mine modded) and I hope it wasn't the wrong way to go!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com