SMPro HD6 reviews?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

SMPro HD6 reviews?

Post by AK Audio » Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a headphone amp for tracking/monitoring purposes. I've recently found the SM Pro HD-6 and I think it could be a nice fit with my current setup. I'll spare you the details of my gear, but at the core I'm using a Digi003 Rack.

Anyone have any personal experience, reviews, etc? I'd really just like to know what the limitations are... brittle sound, inadequate power, falls apart? Thanks in advance.

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Wed May 13, 2009 10:26 pm

I guess I was expecting a little more action than this. In any case, I've recently placed an order for one through a friend who works for a dealer. Apparently it will only cost around $70, so it will certainly be a good deal. I'll be sure to update anyone who is curious.

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Sat May 16, 2009 1:37 pm

I have one of thier headphone amps.
I think it's the model you speak of.
It works great, solid build, sounds decent for tracking and gets plenty loud enough.

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 pm

So after tracking an entire 5 song EP for a band, stuck with just two headphone mixes I finally received my special ordered HP6E (apparently there's a new model number) in the mail. I just racked it up and wired it to the patchbay.

Quite simply, I'm really impressed. The build quality is great - definitely something that looks and feels better than most of the alternatives in its price range. The only complaint I have is that the knobs look a little silly/cheesy. While the stepped pots feel solid, the silver plastic knobs I could do without.

Functionally this thing seems like it was MADE for my setup. I love it. 4 separate stereo mixes which can be mixed in with a master "Mix" - so essentially five mixes through six separate headphone outs... oh the possibilities. I haven't listened to the phones for an extended period of time, so I can't speak to ear fatigue - but I've always had pretty good luck with my AKG 240's.

So adding this piece to my rack has added an additional dilemma to my situation - I think I need additional analog outputs so that I can hardwire them to this unit and not use all the outs on my 003 while tracking. I'm thinking something with ADAT in, and 8 analog outs. The Behringer ADA 8000 looks like the only cost-efficient alternative, although I'm hesitant to add it to my current rack for a number of reasons. Any suggestions for alternatives?

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:48 pm

I feel obliged to submit another update to this post -

Having owned this piece for an entire year, I'm sad to report that it has not held up well. Two channels are currently out of commission and one is sketchy.
- The first had a button stick,
- The second channel lost signal to the left side. I tried re-soldering the input jack, new cables, etc. It's just dead.
- One channel distorts terribly, regardless of input volume. Another sounds like it clips easily. Both of these channels cause serious fatigue if used for an extended period.

Currently I have just two channels that function without issue. I am quite disappointed. To be honest I'm very careful with my gear, it does not see abuse. Because many of my projects are smaller in scale, I seldom even need to use this amp. One of the flawed channels hadn't even been used until my latest project last month.

So if you're looking to buy a reliable headphone amp, I can't recommend the SM Pro. I've heard very good things about the Presonus unit though, which is what I'll probably try to check out next.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm often to busy to surf, and missed this until now, but this is a piece of gear I need, but haven't purchased yet. I look forward to hearing how the presonus works out.

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:53 pm

It's been a LONG time

SM PRO unit: Fortunately, since my latest update nothing else has pooped out on me. The remaining 3 or 4 channels are working with a bit of fiddling. However, there was one occasion where I specifically needed 6 channels, and it took some very resourceful work on my part to accommodate. In short, this unit has been a serious disappointment.

Presonus HP60: I finally broke down and bought this bad boy. I just got it in the mail a few weeks ago, so it's been wired up & turned on but seldom used. It doesn't look like I'll specifically need it for a while, but I'm looking forward to testing it out within the month. One feature I'm specifically interested in is the "Talkback" input! Now that I no longer use a Digi 003r, I don't have the extra 4 channels to dedicate to the TB.

I'll post my experiences later.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 am

Please do post your experience once you've used it more! A 6-channel headphone amp is something I've got on my list for the future, and the two models I have marked down as what I was looking for are the HP60 and the Art HeadAmp6Pro. I'm a big fan of Presonus gear and love supporting their company, and I'd love to know if the HP60 would make a great addition other than just cosmetically to my two Presonus interfaces I've got!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com