My Roberts Preamp Mod - pics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fmhurst
audio school

My Roberts Preamp Mod - pics

Post by fmhurst » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:51 pm

I want to thank Rod and others on the forum for the information that allowed me to modify the Roberts for my son for recording. Here are the pictures:

I did some of my own mods on top of others. A tight fit but separate balanced and unbalanced inputs to the EF86 and 12AD7. The panels were sanded to bare aluminum, primed and painted with light gray. The labeling is waterslide decals with a thin coat of clear coat (like a guitar headstock). The case is the original cut down to size and veneered with maple. The veneer was dyed with wood dye then coats of lacquer. The lacquer was hand rubbed with 600 grit sandpaper, light rubbing compound and finally a swirl reducer.

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stylus flanger » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:55 pm

dad rocks!

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Awesome! Is that a 4-channel rack then?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Awesome...

Cool labels.

I have about 60+ things floating around the studio that we have morphed into other things.... I got tired of labeling things so I just have a spiral bound note book with lots o notes.

I get emails every day from ppl modding these, always nice to see someone getting them to work.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity