Favorite fuzzbox

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 am

The things are so easy to make, it's better for me to just make one up the way I like. Mine uses a 071 opamp, loaded with harmonics which is why I remove them from consoles. I use a fet and a 6/db octave low pass filter with a sweep frequency. Still, it's up all the way as is the volume (all the guitars are active and have hot outputs).

For that "falling apart" sound, I have a home made Fuzz Face. The rest comes from the amps.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:22 am

I just got a Devi Ever Hyperion, it is an insane verge-of-destruction kind of fuzz. It's fun so far figuring things out, figuring out how to control it. Very over the top.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:42 am

fave fuzzes: univox superfuzz, rams head big muff, zvex octane 3
fave ods: tubescreamers808, way huge pork loin
fave distortion: lm308 Rat, Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic

it may seem like nitpicking or semantics but they really are three vastly different things to me and i use them differntly

me make purty musick!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:42 pm

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:45 am

I don't expect it to necessarily compete with the high end stuff, but has anyone ever built the little DIY fuzz kit here?
http://www.fuzzboxworld.com/page2.html

It has a bit in common with a Heathkit amp I once got used that was crapping out, and I've wanted a pedal to imitate that for a while, and this is so cheap I'm thinking of picking it up (also haven't had any fun soldering projects lately).
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 am

Bee-Ba and Superfuzz circuits are my favorites. For recording fuzz guitars though I'll just as soon plug straight into the board and crank it.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:03 am

I built an buildyourownclone tubescreamer clone, the nice thing is you have options and can tailor it to your needs. I built mine so it's not so mid-peaky.
It might be the thing you are looking for.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html

finleysound
pluggin' in mics

Post by finleysound » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:27 pm

ProCo RAT. What can I say?

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:22 pm

After starting this thread and taking it all in I tried a few of the suggestions. I like the truckloud but still didn't find the response I was seeking. death by audio looked cool but seemed bombastic. I'm am sending my TS to keeley for the mod, but in the meantime I found something that really has me excited. I stopped by GC on a whim as I walked by and saw a lovepedal called the "Englishman" on sale. On sale cause I think it it's discontinued. Anyway, the thing is modeled on a broken vox AC30 just before it dies. I frigging love it. Just a sweet breaking up sound that you play musically. It plays very well with single coils. Really great, for the moment I found what I'm looking for. I also took a fulltone OCD which I wanted to like but it sounded like California metal to me. I like the build on those things and I understand why people like em but not for me.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 am

Frantone "The Sweet"
best bottom I've heard in a fuzz.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:18 pm

chovie d wrote:........
fave distortion: lm308 Rat, Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic
+1 on both of these. Especially the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube - by far the best amp-like distortion I've ever run across in a pedal.

The thing is, (IMHO), the "rhythm"or clean channel is where it's at on that pedal- very good clean Stone'sy type distortion.

That is also the only problem with the pedal - the distortion on the "rhythm" channel is so much better than the "distorted" channel, that you wish you just had two of the "rhythm" channels to work with.

Mind you, the "distortion" channel is ok, but more like a RealTube distortion pedal. A little too heavy, mid-rangy and thick, if that makes any sense). I mean I still use it, but I always wish it was a little more transparent and open.

The "rhythm" distortion on the other hand - fan-freaking-tastic. Perfect for classic rock/power pop - big open distorted power chords just ring out - (you know, like and open G with a D on the 5th string).

If you ever run into one at a store, give it a shot. Especially listen to how natural the distortion overtones are when you play big open chords and let them fully decay (that is the test I always find fails for most solid-state pedals - in most of them, you can hear the "artificialness" in the tail end of a big open distorted chord. Kind of like the aftertaste in artificial sweetener versus real sugar).

Anyway, the only thing I've ever owned that comes close to the warm, clean distortion of the the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube is an older Marshall or cranked blackface Bassman 50, or an old late 50's/early 60's Tweed Gibson guitar/harmonica amp I used to have years ago. If that helps you place the sound.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:34 am

Try a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face. Great pedal. Very responsive to playing, tone/vol. controls. Sounds great into an already cookin' amp. Analog Man Sun Face is one of the best fuzzes I've ever heard.

LM308 Rat is sick. Haven't quite found my sweet spot with it yet, but I'm digging it. Seems to cross over into fuzz territory when you get the gain up past 3 o'clock.

Earthquaker Devices is making a few great sounding fuzzes. I own the Dirt Transmitter, and Tusk Fuzz.... the latter of which you'd have to pry from my cold dead hands.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:47 am

roygbiv wrote: (that is the test I always find fails for most solid-state pedals - in most of them, you can hear the "artificialness" in the tail end of a big open distorted chord. Kind of like the aftertaste in artificial sweetener versus real sugar).
8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Sold some stuff + and now have (well, starting too:still would like a wah & od) a fine pedal collection. The Fuzz War beat out the Red Witch Fuzz God II.
I'm sure many can appreciate the tones and the additional "over the top" button of the Red Witch. But in trying the two pedals out with a blues jr. there was such immediate gratification and quick dial innable tones with the Fuzz War that ultimately it could not be denied.

EDIT: 1-10-2014
Listening back to stuff I recorded at the time, the Fuzz God tracks kept getting replayed.. just picked up a used one.
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm back in the market for pedals, I want to try a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz and an Earthquaker Hoof fuzz side by side and see which I like better.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion