Noob Post Of The Millineum, Right Here!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

VivaK
studio intern

Noob Post Of The Millineum, Right Here!!

Post by VivaK » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 pm

hey ya'll.

this is my first official post on the tape op board. Been trolling it for gems for some time now, but figured I'd put a ring on it.
My band - Viva Voce - just played the Tape Op party at sxsw this year & I figured it was high time I strolled into this room & made a similar high pitch squeal. (i believe the feedback was 7k).

To make it brief: I love most of the records that you dipshits make - will never get into a pissing contest about most of the shit you guys argue about & am just here to learn & proliferate the not-so underground art of making your own goddamn records.

Peace out & if this is the wrong forum to post this in - apologies across the board, but this is my noob post grace period so suck it.

Affectionately,
Kevin Robinson

p.s.
Now down to brass tacks:
Has anyone heard that Emiliana Torinni album Me & Armini, the one that has Gun on it? The production on that track is amazing & allmusic is pretty anemic. The production on that cut is pretty out there & noticed a lot of similarities with it and the new Lanois neil young record. It lists a few dudes out as "producer" and was curious to read more about how that shit went down. thanks!
Full Disclosure: I probably can't record your band any better than you could w/ a few trial & error shitty records under your belt. Thanks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:25 pm

As a Commander Dipshit,
I welcome you to the forum.
Now, swab the deck please...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 am

Kevin!!!

It's Andy from Birmingham. You know - Crush, Lugsole, Nectarine, etc.

I would welcome you, but I'm basically a non-posting longtime noob with little to no talent.

How's the wife?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Welcome. You might want to put you question in Listening to Music. This area is best suited for questions about making your records.

VivaK
studio intern

Post by VivaK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Duly noted mr.drumsound. I reckon a forum about recording techniques might be the place to ask about that Emiliani Torrini album - but will check in over there. thanks!

Andy! Yep it's me brother. Drop me an email sometime, it'd be rad to catch up.
wife is great & says hello!
Full Disclosure: I probably can't record your band any better than you could w/ a few trial & error shitty records under your belt. Thanks.

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:59 am

Kevin,

This is Aaron form Visalia (not Gomes). I've done sound for you guys here a handful of times (Blue Giant too). We need to get you guys back here soon.

Also, I recorded the Blue Giant show. I need to mix it and get you guys a copy.

Oh yeah... and welcome to the TOMB. This place is the best!

-AE

VivaK
studio intern

Post by VivaK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

hey Aaron! good to see you here!!

FWIW: I'd like to propose a new dawn of transparency. I probably know a ton of ya'll, but the user names are killing me. Unless your on some gov watch list, how's about putting your real name up here?
Unless you prefer the anonymity it'd be rad to know who I'm really talking to on this sucker.

BTW - no dice on the Torrini album huh? However this record went down, the prod is over the top & just trying to dig up some info on it. It's dope.

P.S.
Check out this guy's music, Mark Gormley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9J65j2GNzw

it's for real - not some adult swim bullshit.
He recorded this weird folky jams as "therapy" while in the army during the 70's and 80's & this cable access channel has been making these weird ass video's for him over the last few years. He's been getting "internet famous" but he's the real deal & gentle as a lamb and apparently backing away from any form of limelight so as not to be a flash in the pan. Smart man. Just bought his record & it's really fucking good. Love this song.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:21 am

Yeah, stumbled on the Gormley stuff while digging around for Dennis Wilson songs. It's a cool story.