2011: new song a week for 52 weeks

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

2011: new song a week for 52 weeks

Post by death by chandelier » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:34 am

Well, I'm turning 40 this year. For some that's a major milestone and for others it is the end. I'm somewhere in the middle. In order to make this year a bit more enjoyable, I've decided to take on the challenge of writing and recording a new song each week for 2011.

Tape Op has been a great resource for gear and recording techniques. My gear is okay at best and my techniques are lacking, but I enjoy creating music and making it available for others to hear.

Anyway, you can check out the progress/process here: http://tournamentknights.bandcamp.com

Thanks.

EDIT: fixed the link...

fosh
audio school

song-a-week...

Post by fosh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 am

Really good stuff. i like brake dust the most so far. killer. as far as your recording skills go, you don't give yourself enough credit (imho). nice over-driven room sound on kit.

while it's easy for some folks i know, i've tried it too and writing/recording a song a week for a whole year is a wicked challenge. i did it in '09. don't have it on bandcamp (yet?) but here's a link to my site where i blogged about it...

http://joshfuson.com/category/feat52

for me, it helped to let it stretch my concept of what a song is. and it opened a lot up for me in terms of my writing, recording, and playing.

your project is off to a great start. i hope you keep it up.

cheers,
-josh

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Cool idea! I'm digging the results as well. Looking forward to hearing more.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey Josh.

Thanks. Checked out (and will be checking out more of) your stuff. Very nice.

Yeah, it's been a challenge already, and it's only week 5. I'm determined to do it. My wife is very supportive, so that helps.

The great thing about it is you just have to go with it - if you know what I mean. There is no time to second guess or scrap a song at the last minute. You have to make it work - which has been fun.

To add to the craziness, I just started "playing" drums which adds a whole other dimension to the writing process. I have to keep things simple and work around my limitations.

Thanks again.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:48 pm

palinilap wrote:Cool idea! I'm digging the results as well. Looking forward to hearing more.
Thank you.

jlovejoy
audio school

Post by jlovejoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

This is a great idea! I hope you do keep to the project. Imagine the pile of material you will have by the end of the year, how much you'll have learned, and how many gems you'll have.
death by chandelier wrote:I have to keep things simple and work around my limitations.
This is the philosophy I employ most of the time. I sort of feel like it's the only way I will learn and be able to make things more complex. It's very cool that you've started playing drums. Personally, I try not to let my own lack of skill prevent me from doing something. :wink:

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:27 am

Yeah, I'm bumping my own thread.

15 weeks into this thing and all is well, I think. I do feel like I'm trapped on a merry-go-round though.

I'm grouping each 13 weeks into an "album". So 205211:1 is done. Check it our here: http://tournamentknights.com/album/20-52-11-1

205211:2 is here: http://tournamentknights.com/album/20-52-11-2

I've also started a blog about the process. It's not very tech heavy. In fact, it is quite boring. It's just a way for me to remember what went on each week. I'm behind a couple of weeks, but you can check it out here: http://205211.blogspot.com

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Halfway done. 26 more tunes/weeks to go: http://tournamentknights.bandcamp.com/

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:07 pm

39 down and only 13 more to go.

http://tournamentknights.bandcamp.com/

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:01 pm

This is awesome! I'm at work and I can't listen to the songs you've done, but I love the idea and may have to try it myself.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 am

good stuff, kudos!

KenHR
audio school

Post by KenHR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:41 pm

This is great stuff!

The new wife and I are resting at a nice B&B on our honeymoon and have been listening to your last few tracks. Thumbs up from both of us.

For the past few years, I've made the resolution to do a song a week for a year, but I've never been able to do it. This is inspiring...may have to take another crack at it now that the wedding stuff has died down.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks darjama and mscottweber and KenHR (happy honeymoon). Thanks for listening.

death by chandelier
alignin' 24-trk

Post by death by chandelier » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Well, I'm done. :D

The fun of the challenge far outweighed the suck of the challenge. I think I'm a better songwriter because of it. As far as becoming better at capturing sound, I don't think I progressed too much. I enjoy writing way more than recording, but I need to record so my writing can be heard.

Anyway, thanks to those that followed along. I would highly recommend doing this if you have the time. Maybe I'll try it again in 10 years when I'm 50 (now I'm depressed).

Happy New Year.