Tascam 388: use DBX or not?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Tascam 388: use DBX or not?

Post by moogplayer » Fri May 06, 2011 9:55 am

I know there's a huge 388 thread, and I have read it all. Just polling folks here on the specific question of using DBX or not with this machine. I have never used a 388 but it appears I will be for a project or two. Any opinions on pros/cons of using DBX with this machine are much appreciated - Thanks!

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Fri May 06, 2011 12:57 pm

I have always used the DBX so far.But I will try some tracks without it in the future.
I like the sound with the DBX on.I can really hear no tape hiss and the compression aspect of it sounds nice.But from what I've heard you should'nt slam your levels to high with it on because it could cause some problems.But I have'nt experienced that yet and I sometimes like to go in the red alot.
The good thing with the 388 is that you can choose which group of track you want the dbx on.Tracks 1-4 and 5-8.
So you could record some drumtracks without it and then vocals,acoustics with it on within the same song.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:17 pm

I've always recorded on mine with the DBX on. Background hiss level is way high when the DBX is off, and you don't gain much more high end, if at all.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri May 06, 2011 5:57 pm

I never have used it, I like it fine off. Trick is to being creative with your EQ when recording, I boost highs on the way in and trim it back mixing, so noise isn't really a problem. I mean you still get a little but I think it adds a little realism. I put a 388 recorded song right next to digitally recorded stuff on an album and it wasn't a problem.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:09 am

Yes on softer sources that you want to sound "slick and professional", (especially acoustic instruments, piano and singer/songwriter type stuff), no on loud sources. It sounds prettier in a way, but a good amount detail gets lost in my opinion.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:05 am

i would typically leave it off on the first four tracks, where i put drums and loud guitars.i would engage it on the last four tracks for bass vox and softer material.