Need advice on interfaces to get iZ Radar talking to mac

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lawson
audio school graduate

Need advice on interfaces to get iZ Radar talking to mac

Post by lawson » Sat May 07, 2011 12:28 pm

I acquired an Allen & Heath ZED16 last summer and have been using it alongside a laptop without any problems. But now things have changed and I need your help figuring out the best thing to do:

A couple months ago, a friend 'permaloaned' my studio a 16 channel Toft board, a Radar 24, and some outboard comps and channel strips, all wired up in a patchbay/snake. I have done a few sessions using the Radar (which is only setup for 16 channels right now) and had great results. Problem is, to transfer WAV files from the Radar to my Mac for editing/mixing, it's a very cumbersome process of exporting WAV files within the Radar, then transferring them via FTP over to the Mac. It's really time consuming....

I am looking at different options to acquire some gear that would allow me to use the Radar converters as part of my front end going into a Mac running Pro Tools 9. The Radar has AES outs. I'm not sure about MADI.

If I'm looking to run a pro tools system would something like apogee symphony with 16 aes and 16 analog i/o make sense? or a rme aes interface?

right now I just have a Macbook Pro with firewire 400/800, usb, and an express slot. I love working on the Radar but I would really like to be able to get the computer working alongside all this gear...

Thanks for your help

lawson
audio school graduate

Post by lawson » Sat May 07, 2011 2:49 pm

i'm currently using the zed r16 as 2 channel D/A coming from the computer... i have an apogee ensemble that's currently broken. everything sounds great through the mics into the radar, but i need a feasible way of integrating the DAW world into the radar world...

please, any takers?

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Sat May 07, 2011 3:56 pm

What I've been doing when the need for a DAW comes into play is tracking everything into the Radar, and then exporting the project to a usb 2 drive as wav files, plugging that into a mac, copy files across to the mac, and mixing in DAW of choice (Logic/Protools).

Are you looking for real time?

ju

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Sat May 07, 2011 6:41 pm

On Radar V series MADI is optional. Dunno what Radar 24 came with.

iZ's ADA converter only system comes standard with MADI.

Look on the back of the thing?

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Sat May 07, 2011 8:26 pm

i'm working at a place now with RADAR to Mac via Lynx AES 16s
sounds fantastic. only 12 I/O @ 96kHz though.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Format the RADAR external drive for FAT32 and you can pull it out and connect it directly to your Mac.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon May 09, 2011 9:55 pm

You can also get lightpipe and TDIF digital I/Os for the RADAR and use those to get into whatever interface you've got already.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC