first post: my otari mx-5050 - MK-IV gets a test run

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jredsmyth
audio school

first post: my otari mx-5050 - MK-IV gets a test run

Post by jredsmyth » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:02 am

hey tapeop peoples. i've been lurking the forums for years, and finally decided to sign up and throw a post up. i recently acquired an otari mx5050 -mkIV, 1/2" 4-track machine for $80 and have been testing it out. take a listen to the mp3 at this url: http://uprlip.com/archives/1901
let me know what you think.
technical details: guitar and vocals tracked at the same time using sm57, 8 inches away from singers mouth with pop-filter for vocals, and a stereo pair of oktava mk-012s for the room/guitar, then those three were dumped to one track on the otari (to free up some tracks). drums were recorded with one sm57 in between kick and snare (per the Dungen interview in the last issue of tape op), rhodes was direct line into the otari, and glockenspiel used two oktava mk-012s 4 inches beneath the bells.

then all of the tracks got dumped in stereo to my tascam mk-III tape deck, and then into logic for a little eq.

keep in mind, i don't have much outboard gear yet, and i didn't really want to do all that much digitally so none of these tracks have compressors (which i think they need... but didn't want to go digital on it very much).

anyways, glad i finally got around to signing up here.
-smyth

weswienman
audio school graduate

Post by weswienman » Sun May 08, 2011 11:58 pm

First, the song is cool. Lyrics, music. So the most important thing is out of the way. It also sounds great. The drums, well you already pointed that out, but the sound is good to me. I even like the tape hiss. Its cancels out all the noise going on around me. The vocal delivery and timing is cool and fits the songs. Tighten up the tempo and you got it. Don't overdub too many things either, as the space is really nice. I just posted some of my music here for the first time as well. Its in the thread "Exposing myself." You might like the songs, and they started out on a 4 track too.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 09, 2011 6:00 am

Yeah, I agree, nice work! As you probably figured out, adding drums after-the-fact is not the prefered method, but you did a stellar job.

If you had electric bass on here, and a little hipper snare sound, I'd say it's good to go as is. The slightly loose feel goes with the laisy/laconic/folky delivery. _Maybe_ the glock is a little hot in the mix? Otherwise, nice work. Good song, delivery, arrangement, and capture. As Weis said, the lo-fi-ness and hiss just add to the charm.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 am

Sorry, "Wes," not " 'Weis' ."

GJ

jredsmyth
audio school

Post by jredsmyth » Tue May 10, 2011 7:38 pm

thanks guys. yeah, as i've gotten some distance from this mix i think i agree with a few of the things that you guys pointed out... xylophone too hot, snare a little sloppy in tuning, and the timing is (still) an issue. thanks for taking a listen to it.

i'm hopefully recording a full-length with this guy soon, so i'll post updates as / if we get further into recording.

-jared