Exposing myself

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

weswienman
audio school graduate

Exposing myself

Post by weswienman » Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 pm

I've posted a couple of rough mixed tunes of my project "Bad Effects" on Soundcloud. Just thought it would be cool to hear what some fellow TapeOp-ers had to say about it. I've never really put my own music out there before, but I'm getting good responses from friends and the like. Now I wanna see what some "peers" think. Here's the link:

http://soundcloud.com/bad-effects

For the tech stuff, these two songs started out on a Tascam 244 and were transferred to a Fostex Model 80 reel to reel to add more thangs. The mixer was a Allen & Heath Mixwizard 20:8:2. Mixed down to a standalone Tascam CD burner that has a higher noise floor than it should I think, hence the high noise floor. Will mix down to Protools when I do real mixes.
Pres- Neve Portico :) , Audio Technica ATC 820 (old tranny input, tranny output 8x2 board)
Comps- 2 x DBX 163x and 1 DBX 166
Mics- Shure SM7B and 2 x SM59, Beyer m201 and m101, EV PL9
EFX- 2 x Yamaha E1010 analog delay, Lexicon LXP-1, Alesis Microverb.

weswienman
audio school graduate

Post by weswienman » Sun May 08, 2011 5:06 pm

C'mon. Don't by shy, be blunt.

weswienman
audio school graduate

Post by weswienman » Sun May 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Microverb 3 to be exact, as if it mattered.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 09, 2011 6:06 am

Hey Wes,

I love what you're going for on "Rock 2 Love;" nice mix of styles and eras. Did you mean (aesthetically) to have the vocals so edgy/toasty-distorted?
I'm not sure I would have made that bold choice, but...

Guitars might be a bit out of balance with lead vocals. Drums are pretty lo-fi too, but that might be your approach as well.

Cool song and arrangement ideas. Lemme listen to the other one.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 09, 2011 6:10 am

I'm getting a Motown/Phil Spector meets early Todd Rundgren vibe here (maybe a little Bowie?). Cool song, arrangement, and production tricks.

I'd like to hear more detail on vocals; that's just me. I really like your bold choices on things like guitar tremolo...

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 am

PS-- I'm finishing the song, and I had to punch back in with this thought: Your cool quirky chord changes and plaintive vox are crying-out for some lush background "ooh's" and "ahh's" on the chorus/"coffee percolating" sections, as well as the whistling fade-out. I think that would put this baby over-the-top.

GJ