Another console/mixer opinions request...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 am

"As Ye shall seek, Ye shall find".

Folks call me all the time with their deals. One got a Harrison MR-4 40 input for 500 bucks, then he bought a Raven for $800. Another got a Soundcraft 6k for $1k, another got a Saphyre 32 in/out in new condition for $1000. I paid $750 for my Delta 24. It sold for $12,000 new.

When determine seekers regularly find $100,000 consoles for pennies, one needs to increase their search efforts. Why settle for a semi pro design like the Ghost when you can get the real deal, sometimes for less?

Modular is the only way to go, if you want to stay in business. Fry a channel on the Ghost and the entire console leaves for repairs, you are then out of business until it returns, whenever that is. Your customers probably won't come back either, too much instability that could be avoided by pulling out a modular channel and getting back to work.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri May 20, 2011 5:48 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Literally. Work on what you have.Dont make excuses for it. do great work on whatever you have. Save money. Get the next thing. Repeat for a lifetime.
TOMB quote of the month.

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Wed May 25, 2011 2:55 pm

I know that Jim Williams knows a ton, and I have incredible respect for him, but I would like to take issue with one point, as I have indeed completely recapped and rechipped a Soundcraft Ghost.

The board is actually totally modular inside. There are individual I/O and main channel cards for each channel. If a channel fries, you can indeed remove it and use the rest of the board while it is out of service.

The main difference along these lines is that it is necessary to remove the bottom panel of the board and remove the channel card for repair, rather than having the ability to remove an entire channel strip from the front. It's a PITA, since you have to turn the board over to do it - but it is entirely doable.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 pm

underthebigtree wrote:The main difference along these lines is that it is necessary to remove the bottom panel of the board and remove the channel card for repair, rather than having the ability to remove an entire channel strip from the front. It's a PITA, since you have to turn the board over to do it - but it is entirely doable.
Yep.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Another console/mixer opinions request...

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am

More Crazy Zombie Spam??!?? What gives?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

tomb
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by tomb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

Plug one hole, they find another.

Marking them spam helps, I clean them up as I see them.

tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I was looking for a "report" or "spam" button. I still can't see how I would do it. But-- How would I do it?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

tomb
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by tomb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm

follow the post title out to the right, and click the grey exclamation point (report this post). It may give some options for type, or the ability to add a note as to why you are reporting it.

On a smart phone, there should be an ellipse (...) icon, under which you can choose report post.

tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 am

I kinda like some of the old posts that see the light of day though. So we all should hit up Jim Williams for our console needs :mrgreen:
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.