Where's the category of 'Mixing techniques'?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Where's the category of 'Mixing techniques'?

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Just occurred to me- all these years in, this category is lacking on this messageboard. It appears 'Recording Techniques' gets lumped together with mixing, which are two completely different things.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Well, the board has eleven categories already. If we want to add categories for mixing, or miking, or effects, or compression, or tracking vs. overdubbing...you could subdivide this into infinity. But there is, quite simply, no point to doing that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

goldie469
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldie469 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

dwlb wrote:Well, the board has eleven categories already. If we want to add categories for mixing, or miking, or effects, or compression, or tracking vs. overdubbing...you could subdivide this into infinity. But there is, quite simply, no point to doing that.
I think you're being unfair. I would like to see more discussion of mixing techniques too, and there is a clear difference between that and recording techniques, which seems to focus more on tracking, in all its incarnations. No need to be so aggressive.

+1 on a mixing techniques category

Cheers!
Chris

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Maybe we can change this to "studio techniques" or even just "techniques."

OR ya'll can start mixing related topics and put them here and we can all realize that a mix does, in fact, get recorded and thus fits in just fine on this board.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

drumsound wrote:Maybe we can change this to "studio techniques" or even just "techniques."

OR ya'll can start mixing related topics and put them here and we can all realize that a mix does, in fact, get recorded and thus fits in just fine on this board.
Oh you crafty bastard!!! :lol:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

drumsound wrote:we can all realize that a mix does, in fact, get recorded and thus fits in just fine on this board.
^THIS^

Tons of threads on mixing techniques. UTFSF

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 pm

goldie469 wrote:
dwlb wrote:Well, the board has eleven categories already. If we want to add categories for mixing, or miking, or effects, or compression, or tracking vs. overdubbing...you could subdivide this into infinity. But there is, quite simply, no point to doing that.
I think you're being unfair. I would like to see more discussion of mixing techniques too, and there is a clear difference between that and recording techniques, which seems to focus more on tracking, in all its incarnations. No need to be so aggressive.

Cheers!
Chris

If my post was misconstrued as being aggressive, rest assured it certainly wasn't intended to be.

Primarily because I use MEGABOARD! to navigate TOMB, but secondarily because I don't really go in for strict compartmentalization, I don't see any problem with discussing mixing techniques in a category called "Recording," so we may just have to agree to disagree.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue May 24, 2011 5:55 am

dwlb wrote:... we may just have to agree to disagree.
As opposed to an endless argument that goes back and forth and people get all bitchy and dredge up witty one-liners and put-downs and question each other's sanity and eventually their basic human decency? Where is your sense of adventure!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 24, 2011 6:34 am

joelpatterson wrote:
dwlb wrote:... we may just have to agree to disagree.
As opposed to an endless argument that goes back and forth and people get all bitchy and dredge up witty one-liners and put-downs and question each other's sanity and eventually their basic human decency? Where is your sense of adventure!
!!!

Giant smiley face emoticon to you, sir.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue May 24, 2011 10:28 am

lolz at new guy calling dwlby aggressive. back off joe, you big meanie!

why don't we just make this the Big Mixing Techniques thread? what do you guys think?

hell, we can even call it Jeff @#$%^& Robinson's Motor City Mixing Techniques Thread. that's a nice official sounding title that should inspire some enthusiasm.

jeff, why don't you get us started. share a tip or two with the class.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:lolz at new guy calling dwlby aggressive. back off joe, you big meanie!
:D

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

drumsound wrote:Maybe we can change this to "studio techniques" or even just "techniques."

Uh yeah, but...

To be in step with nearly every major text book on the subject, delineating between the 3 basic facets of making a record would be helpful. Probably, there was no consulting of a textbook when this board was devised/conceived.

In review, the 3 basic areas are:

1. Tracking/Recording/Overdubbing

2. Mixing

3. Mastering

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am

goldie469 wrote:

Cheers!
Chris
This could be parsed further:

http://www.myspace.com/musicianengineer ... A381277%7D

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue May 24, 2011 11:43 am

Thank gawd this forum doesn't resemble a text book.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 24, 2011 11:47 am

Jeff, you're a natural-born bureaucrat! No wonder you pine for the old days of stagnating major labels and glossy 8 1/2" by 11" press releases.

Of the two options, I'd vote for changing the name of this section "studio techniques". I just don't think the TOMB has a high enough volume of posts in either category to necessitate specifying one from the other.

I'm also okay with keeping the name as it is. Maybe clarify the subheader a little bit?