Why would an artist have a myspace page today...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Bro Shark wrote:dwlb, my vitriol misfired. I didn't it mean it towards you, more just .. the idea. Sorry if I came off the wrong way (again).

See, this is one of the problems with the stupid internet. Nothing makes sense. I can't accurately convey my vitriol and sarcasm, which was never intended towards you, but rather towards something being discussed. If we were in person I probably wouldn't even have to consider it. I'd just be me, and you'd probably get me, and we'd have a laugh and maybe exchange CDs and I'd give you one of my band's t-shirts.
No worries. Caught me by surprise, is all.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 pm

My point was? I think I'll try again. I don't think bands/artists need an internet presence or social networking ... at all. Sure, they can have that, and it can be useful. But need? No. All you need is great songs. Music fans form little communities and do all the necessary promotion for you. Provided you're good enough to catch their ear. "Dude, you like _____? Well, you need to check out ______, they are amazing!"

I don't think you even need to go out and tour in this day and age either, but that definitely helps if your music has a certain vibe .. like, isn't completely loner/antisocial or whatever.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:44 pm

@?,*???&?, why would you think bands without social networking sites are lazy? It's not like it's really all that hard to manage a facebook or myspace page. I just got back from a two month tour, I hope you don't think that is lazy ;)

We do not need an internet presence to get what we desire and to connect with people. The records are out there. The artwork is out there. The fliers are out there. We go to their towns. We play in their record stores, bars, clubs, basements, whatever. In fact we have our own personal address on the back of our LP. People send us letters and sometimes cash for t-shirts. We write them back. It's great. The last letter we received was from Germany. Pretty awesome!

On top of that there's reviews, write up's, forums, blogs, new papers or whatever.
Word gets out.

It definitely seems like Bandcamp is the best way to go as far as having a place on the internet to display your art and music; However, I think that it's unnecessary.
Last edited by jkelly222 on Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Bro Shark wrote:My point was? I think I'll try again. I don't think bands/artists need an internet presence or social networking ... at all. Sure, they can have that, and it can be useful. But need? No. All you need is great songs. Music fans form little communities and do all the necessary promotion for you. Provided you're good enough to catch their ear. "Dude, you like _____? Well, you need to check out ______, they are amazing!"
EXACTLY!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Bro Shark wrote:My point was? I think I'll try again. I don't think bands/artists need an internet presence or social networking ... at all. Sure, they can have that, and it can be useful. But need? No. All you need is great songs. Music fans form little communities and do all the necessary promotion for you. Provided you're good enough to catch their ear. "Dude, you like _____? Well, you need to check out ______, they are amazing!"

I don't think you even need to go out and tour in this day and age either, but that definitely helps if your music has a certain vibe .. like, isn't completely loner/antisocial or whatever.
I agree with all of that. Anything "internet" is a tool, whether it's a facebook page, myspace page, email mailing list or fully-equipped self-hosted website with embedded music store. If you don't need the tool, don't use the tool.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Wed May 25, 2011 2:07 pm

as a public service to the humor deficient, I'd like to point out the irony of arguing about the usefulness of the internet ... on the internet.

BAM!
you're welcome.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

plurgid wrote:as a public service to the humor deficient, I'd like to point out the irony of arguing about the usefulness of the internet ... on the internet.

BAM!
you're welcome.
Ah, but. This thread also demonstrates its (lack of) usefulness.

I'm bored at work, is all. What's everyone else's excuse.

8)

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Bro Shark wrote:
plurgid wrote:as a public service to the humor deficient, I'd like to point out the irony of arguing about the usefulness of the internet ... on the internet.

BAM!
you're welcome.
Ah, but. This thread also demonstrates its (lack of) usefulness.

8)
Bored before work

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Wed May 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Bro Shark wrote: Ah, but. This thread also demonstrates its (lack of) usefulness.

avoiding work, LOL

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:28 pm

plurgid wrote:
Bro Shark wrote: Ah, but. This thread also demonstrates its (lack of) usefulness.

avoiding work, LOL
GET TO WORK!
Last edited by jkelly222 on Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Re: Why would an artist have a myspace page today...

Post by jkelly222 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Why would he or she not want to use an online tool that facilitates social contact online as an extension of the connections his band has made in person?
We do use an online tool that facilitates social contact online as an extension of the connections we've made in person! It's called GMAIL. :)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Why would an artist have a myspace page today...

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 25, 2011 3:09 pm

jkelly222 wrote:
Why would he or she not want to use an online tool that facilitates social contact online as an extension of the connections his band has made in person?
We do use an online tool that facilitates social contact online as an extension of the connections we've made in person! It's called GMAIL. :)
That's funny, as I was about to say that I've recently had better luck promoting gigs through Facebook than through an email list. :wink:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Sooooooo fah-reeg'n frustrating...

I keep getting e-mail and notices from all of my "friends" from my thousand-times cancelled MySpace page.

GJ

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Sooooooo fah-reeg'n frustrating...

I keep getting e-mail and notices from all of my "friends" from my thousand-times cancelled MySpace page.

GJ
Remove all your friends
Remove all your content
Leave a message that says "myspace is lamespace"
Change the registered email on the account to tom@myspace.com
Set your spam filter to delete anything from @myspace.com with prejudice.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu May 26, 2011 3:36 pm

You might wanna try the Web 2.0 Suicide Machine with killing your Myspace page. Supposedly it works well:
http://suicidemachine.org/

Back in 2004-2007 or so Myspace was a great site. I found a lot of cool music through that site. It has now turned into the worst spammy crap that is about as useful as Geocities. I still have my music ones and probably won't kill them, I just don't use them anymore.

As for blogs I really like Tumblr, it's really easy to use, uploading all sorts of media is really simple and works great. I've tinkered with Wordpress a little bit but it had more of a learning curve than I wanted to mess with.