want to make my own gobos

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

want to make my own gobos

Post by versuviusx » Mon May 30, 2011 8:13 am

hi i want to make my own gobos
and i want to use a foam that has shapes that i can easily just glue on to a fabric. then i plan to use grommets and punch them on all sides so i can tie them to pvc square frame. i want it to be very portable.
so the question is what is the the cheapest best product for what i'm trying to do?
i found these http://cgi.ebay.com/Auralex-Sunburst-Br ... 1e5a459c3d
but they are expensive.
i want something that will be a great broadband absorber for vocals. i'm trying to tame room reflections so i get a very good dry vocal sound.
if you know of anything let me know. would love to see what you have in mind.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon May 30, 2011 4:42 pm

You're so much better off using rigid fiberglass instead of foam.

If you want ANY kind of isolation from one side of the gobo to the other, put a thin piece of plywood in the center and glue your rigid insulation to each Sid and cover with fabric.

Www.thomasnet.com will take you to a local insulation supplier....should be well under $10 for a 2'x4' sheet at 2" thick. Soo much more cost effective and result effective.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Mon May 30, 2011 4:52 pm

norton wrote:You're so much better off using rigid fiberglass instead of foam.
Ditto that. Rigid fiberglass is hard to find in my neck of the woods but Roxul Safe 'n' Sound works well also. It was less than $40 for a bag of eight 2'x4' pieces.

ofajen
pushin' record

Re: want to make my own gobos

Post by ofajen » Mon May 30, 2011 5:04 pm

versuviusx wrote:the question is what is the the cheapest best product for what i'm trying to do?
The top of range product for this application is the ASC Studio Trap. DIY versions thereof may not be the cheapest possible thing to make, but you might as well make the most versatile, elegant device. A Google search for "diy tube trap" should easily locate detailed instructions with pictures.

A DIY Tube Trap requires unwrapped 1" fibreglas pipe insulation of the right diameter, two round wooden ends of that same diameter, some 4 mil plastic sheet, thin fabric covering such as a bedsheet and a glue that will work on fibreglas and wood. To add the raising and lowering function requires a bit more ingenuity installing a mike stand on the end, but you could just do a fixed stand and attach it to the bottom end.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby