Queen - another one bites the dust, effects?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Queen - another one bites the dust, effects?

Post by akg414 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Does anyone know those sound effects in another one bites the dust? The "warp" sounding effects?
- Brad

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:39 pm

This was actually broke down a couple issues ago where their engineer was interviewed. Sorry if I'm vague I just don't have it in front of me. Should narrow down your search though!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 pm

If I'm thinking of the right part it sounds to me like backwards piano chords (or guitar or something).

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 am

Personally, I'm fond of "Dust, Thee Bites One ANother"by The Jongleurs:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id200372692

I don't have "Another One..." in front of me, but from memory, the only thing I can think of is that backwards piano that David mentioned. Reinhold Mack, who produced that record was indeed interviewed in TapeOp a couple of issues back. Maybe January/February.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:27 pm

cgarges wrote:Personally, I'm fond of "Dust, Thee Bites One ANother"by The Jongleurs:

I don't have "Another One..." in front of me, but from memory, the only thing I can think of is that backwards piano that David mentioned. Reinhold Mack, who produced that record was indeed interviewed in TapeOp a couple of issues back. Maybe January/February.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
The crescendo is definitely reverse piano, but there is also some strange whooshy percussion stuff around the breakdown. And reversed cymbals leading into the choruses, and some stuff here and there that sounds like helicopters. I believe it's all synthesizers, reversed instruments and some bass guitar with tape echo.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:24 am

dwlb wrote:
cgarges wrote:Personally, I'm fond of "Dust, Thee Bites One ANother"by The Jongleurs:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
The crescendo is definitely reverse piano, but there is also some strange whooshy percussion stuff around the breakdown. And reversed cymbals leading into the choruses, and some stuff here and there that sounds like helicopters. I believe it's all synthesizers, reversed instruments and some bass guitar with tape echo.
I think the helicopter stuff and other weirdness in screwing around with controls on a delay, prob a PCM 41 or 42 with the modulation section, as well as time and feedback futzing.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:23 pm

I miss Freddie :(
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 am

KennyLusk wrote:I miss Freddie :(
INDEED!!!

I saw a great Queen special on the Documentary channel last week. Really good and had good information and stories from the end of Freddie's life. Really interesting.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:42 am

drumsound wrote:
KennyLusk wrote:I miss Freddie :(
INDEED!!!

I saw a great Queen special on the Documentary channel last week. Really good and had good information and stories from the end of Freddie's life. Really interesting.
I watched that as well. I'm not a Queen fan but it was nicely done and drew me in!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah, totally worth noting that despite all the fun ear candy in that jam, it wouldn't be worth a damn without Freddie Mercury at the very front, doing... That Thing.