Dynamics for overheads

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Dynamics for overheads

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 pm

{Actual question underlined at bottom.}

Aiight, last request was re kick mics; I took the advice of many and a great price from a fellow TOMBer and got a used Senn e602 (series 1) and am loving it.

And I like my 58 on the snare and my old AT PR sompin' on the floor tom.

And, I like using a LDC (MXL 1006) for mid room and (Samson C02 in omni) for far room.

The problem is, I record drums on the Zoom R16 and that only gives 2 phantom- powered channels what I use for the room mics. (I'd rather not bring a power unit or outboard pre as I'm tryna do K.I.S.S.)

Also, we are in a low-ceilinged and lively basement, and so I'm digging the inexpensive (Digital Reference DR-GX1, cheapos from Audio Technica) dynamics I use as overheads, but am wondering if I can get some improvement there.

So, anyone have any great results with using dynamics as overheads, and whatcha's use?

(As always, I'm tryna keep the price down so I have more money for whiskey and CD's. :twisted: )
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kickoldman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kickoldman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:03 pm

I like the EV 635a as an overhead, or out in front of the kit.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 pm

No always cheap or easy to find (even harder to find a working one) but I do like AKG D224's on OH. Otherwise ribbons, ribbons, RIBBONS. What-ever you've got or can get is worth a try.
+1 on the 635a although I prefer it as a crotch/heart mic on the drums. RE15s can be pretty great too. They were the OH on some of The Band's records. You could do worse than Levon's sound.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 pm

electro-voice re55 or pl9. both omni. the re55 works on nearly anything.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 pm

As others said, the 635a is definitely a good choice for this. When I first started recording/messing with using more than one mic at a time, for drum overheads I just used my cheap Nady vocal mics (Starpower series I believe, I think they were all under like 20 clams). I moved on past that, upgraded all sorts of things and got a lot of experience. Well at one point I listened to some of those very old recordings, and despite the fact that there were issues with most of the sounds (vocals ear-splittingly bright, muddy guitars, etc) the drums actually really didn't sound bad at all. I haven't really tried doing the same thing again since then, but I honestly don't know why.

When I'm recording just some random ideas for songs at home I usually just put up an SM7b straight up from the bass drum aimed downish toward the snare. It's a surprisingly pleasing sound that I definitely plan on using in full production at some point.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks, guys!

I am happy, actually, with the sounds I'm getting, as is the drummer.

Just on that ever-present quest to improve.

The 635a sounds like mebbe sompin' to try, the others seem to be US$200 and up, each ...

I do have a ribbon (NOS R2) that I love on guitar amps - it's my go-to, and so I'm not sure I want ribbons on the OH's as I'm using one all the time ...

Is the omni characteristic of the 636a key? Is there a theoretical superiority of patterns for OH when they are dynamics? I use Recorderman mostly, sometimes Johns, but I'm wed to nothing (I like M/S, also, but the drummer doesn't.)

I even bought a "stereo bar" recently, tho' I haven't tried it yet ...

If I hadda describe what I'm looking for, it's a little more of the "silver-jingle" of the cymbals, but I still have to control the reflective low ceilings (which makes me question the suitablility of the omni 635a), and wanna avoid the need for outboard phantom power. It's like, I want the most "condensor-ish" of dynamics, and cheap. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:32 pm

I picked up an E.V. RE-10 cardioid dynamic for about $100.
Something cheap like that, maybe?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 pm

I took the transformer my 57 and tried it as an overhead and I really liked the sound. Very mellow, lots of low mids and very soft highend. Sounded very "vintage".

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Great info, y'all! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 pm

If what you really want is a condenser with no 48v needed, maybe you should consider one of the battery powered options. Like a RadShack pzm or the TapeOp DIY Omni. Are you at all DIY friendly?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 pm

there are a bunch of condensers with their own power supplies. i would probably opt for some ribbons though.... bit of variety in the mix

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 am

I've used 635a, AKG D119es, TOMB ribbons and way back when Stedman N90s for OH.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:58 am

drumsound wrote: Stedman N90s for OH.
Yes! Takes me back 12 years when the one n90 was the "nice" mic amongst a group of us. We used it for mono OH often. That very same mic is still with me and regularly used for under the snare duties.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:59 pm

635 doesn't seem to be insane picking up tons of the room and has a surprisingly smooth sound. not ideal for quiet sources but for anything med-loud it's good.
the new rules : there are no rules

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:39 pm

We are pretty loud.

I am DIY friendly, but don't have the time to do extensive projects.

I already mentioned my thoughts re ribons.

Now that I think onnit, I do have a C-1000S, but really, I like the dynamics I'm using, just wondering if there are better options in that regard.

I s'pose I could always go with 57's, and do the transformer mod, and tie a 9v. battery to it with some hair-ribbon. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.