Converter woes

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Converter woes

Post by agauchede » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Hey all, hope you're managing the heat okay. I'm glad to be in the basement!

I use a Tango 24 with my 002 rig. I'm using it to connect outboard gear for mixing, i.e., compressors, etc. It works fine for a while, but I inevitably get pops and clicks after an hour or so. Could this be caused by heat in my rack? It's slaved to my computer (making the Tango master has always resulted in audio dropouts when mixing.) It does it regardless of how hard the CPU is being taxed, even if it's under 15% in the system usage window. Has any one else had this sort of issue? Solutions?

Thanks!
Chris

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Check your optical cables--if the connections are loose you can get stuff like that. I've found the real thin/cheap cables work the best. And the Tango is set to get it's clock signal off its optical input (optical output from the 002R)?

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply, Al. I had gotten new cables, the "better" Hosa ones. Maybe I should get the cheapies and see if I have better luck.

Clocks are set correctly, thanks for asking! Have you ever found heat in the rack to cause clock errors?

Cheers,
Chris

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:07 pm

pops and clicks are almost always a clock issue. you need to set the 002 to receive clock from the Tango. try setting it that way and see.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks, dsw! I've tried it that way, too. It records fine that way, but if I'm using the Tango for i/o during mixdown I get audio dropouts.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:03 am

agauchede wrote:Thanks for the reply, Al. I had gotten new cables, the "better" Hosa ones. Maybe I should get the cheapies and see if I have better luck.

Clocks are set correctly, thanks for asking! Have you ever found heat in the rack to cause clock errors?

Cheers,
Chris
Yep, I had the Hosa ones as well and they were too clunky to maintain a good connection. I'm not aware of heat causing issues; but depending on how hot the gear is actually getting I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. Try the cables first and if that doesn't sort things consider getting a fan.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:17 am

Maybe the Tango is not working right and needs repair?

during mixdown what is your signal path?

drop outs like tiny or big?
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

reedblack
pluggin' in mics

Optical Connection Problems

Post by reedblack » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:34 am

I have a related problem with my Digi002-Rosetta800-Rosetta200 rig. I often get clicks and pops in recording, and if I go to the back panels of my converters and jiggle the optical cables (especially on the Digi002 side) it creates a shower of clicks and pops. Sometimes that does the trick and I return to recording with no problems; sometimes, the clicks and pops continue, sporadically, averaging one every 15 seconds or so. Thoughts?

I wonder if the optical saddles in my 002 have come loose, or have become defective in some way.

Any more ideas on troubleshooting and solving this issue? I've tried changing the clock source and swapping out optical cables. Flummoxed.

Block diagram: Rosetta 200 is Master Clock, connected to Rosetta 800 via Wordclock BNC cable, and to the 002 via S/PDIF. Rosetta 800 is connected to 002 with Optical/ADAT cables. 002 Is connected to computer via firewire.

Thanks everyone!

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

My take is that either optical cables aren't seating properly or something isn't getting the same clock source. So I understand; the 002 is getting it's signal off it's S/PDIF input; and the Rosetta 800 is getting it's clock signal off its optical input? If that's all the case, then it's likely down to the cables/connections.

reedblack
pluggin' in mics

Post by reedblack » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Good point, Al. Since I've tried swaping out cables, it must be the connectors themselves, probably on my 002. Do you, or anyone else out there (echo, echo...) know anything about replacing the optical jacks in an 002? Are they a standard, universal part that's easy to swap out? Anyone done it before?

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:39 pm

What type of cables are you using? I'd try the thinnest; lightest ones you can get. I got some at Fry's that were cheap and work well. The weight of some cables like the Hosa ones (I think I even tried some Monster ones) can cause a loose connection in the jacks on the 002.