UA 4-710D

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

UA 4-710D

Post by Sculli » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 am

Any thoughts on this piece? Anyone using the digital out to go into a Digi002/003?
Looks pretty flexible. Thanks for any input!
Peace,
Kevin

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 am

Bought it and it's on it's way!

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Congrats ! I haven't had any hands on experience but have read everything that I could find about it. Everything was very positive and the converters are suppose to be very good as well.
I would be interested in your opinion after you have used it for a while on a number of things. Also if you could please list what you have so that we would know what it is that you are comparing it to. Thanks!

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 am

I'd like to hear more as well. I'm in the market for a new interface and have been considering the apogee ensemble and rme ufx. The uad was recently recomended to me.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 pm

I was very excited about this. Wasn't it just reviewed in TO this summer?

But it seems too good to be true. All that for that price? It seems they must be cutting corners somewhere. BUT I'd love to be wrong.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 pm

There aren't many reviews out there, yet, but here's one from Damian Audio:

http://www.damianaudio.com/?p=241

and here's one from Mix:

http://www.mixonline.com/gear/reviews/u ... 0d_review/

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:13 am

I got one a couple of months ago and I like it a lot. 4 pres that go from very clean to vey distorted if you want, with an output attenuator so you can dial in high gain sounds while hitting your converters at a sane level. I don't use it's converters so I can't attest to their sound, but, I'm sure they're as good as any medium grade or better converter out there at the very least. I think that UA should have made it firewire/lightpipe instead of AES/lightpipe though. If it were firewire then it could be purchased and used by the entire computer owning world rather than only those who have AES cards in there computers. Even if you have some other I/O setup, now even in ProTools, you could add this on to your system if it were firewire by just plugging it in. Not to mention the ability to take the thing out of the studio and use with a laptop is pretty much lost without firewire, practicaly speaking. Why? Anyway, upon taking the top off and looking inside you'll find 2, count 'em 2 JJ 12AX7s (i triode for each channel), Wyma signal capacitors, no audio transformers, and a switch mode power supply (same kind that come in SSL Alpha Link). About the power supply, Being a switching -as opposed to linear- power supply, the high plate voltage for the tubes is supplied by a voltage multiplier circuit, and the audiophile community frowns on that for sure. As far as the solid state tube blend thing goes, that's a gimmick that you'll soon realize upon looking at the signal flow diagram in the manual. The advertizing claims that you can dial in "all tube" or "all solid state" and anywhere in between. It's actually solid state all of the time with the ability to add or bypass the tube gain stage in continuously variable amounts. In other words when you dial in "all tube" the signal goes to the solid state gain stage first and then to the tube gain stage and then out. So it can be dialed in to "all solid state" but not "all tube". And there is only 1 triode per channel. Obviuosly none of this matters if it sounds great which it certainly does. And it works perfectly with no noise, like it should. But the I think the price is a little high ($1995) for the component set that you get. But who cares. The unit is great sounding and very, vey versitile. Would I buy it again? Well, I'm not going to get rid of the one that I have. If I had it to do over again I'd buy it for $1500 if it had firewire. But still it's great.
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:44 am

Thanks Jettison. About to check it out today. Should be fun!

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 pm

It seems that this is a Michigan post. Where you at in northern mich. Sculli? Bannerj is in Holland and I'm in Grand Haven. Small tomb.

Oh and I didn't speak of the compression. They say it's 1176ish. It is and obviously you can hit it as hard as you want. Yep this thing goes clean to mud. It's rad and I don't mean to dis on it. But it's kinda in the same ballpark (4 pres in one that is) as a Daking MP4 sans the converters and compression. You gather? Nobody can f with the daking. I was gonna get the daking. Then I read the tapeop review and I sold some other stuff and rushed out and bought the 4710. I'm happy. Cheers
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Traverse City area. Haven't got to trying it yet. I'm trying to figure out how to slave my interface(digi002) to the 710 in Logic..I'm a bit of UA freak,2-610,LA610mkII and now this. I would like to get some 1073 type pres next. Yeah it's looks like we're all on the west side of the state too. Thanks for the info.
Peace!

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Once i realized that the only output is adat or lightpipe i lost interest. I wish they had added firewire or usb output, but i think that's already been said before...

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:58 am

Really? The lightpipe gives me 8 channels and frees up the 002 for 4 more outboard pres. I can see where that would suck if you didn't already have an interface.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Sculli wrote:Really? The lightpipe gives me 8 channels and frees up the 002 for 4 more outboard pres. I can see where that would suck if you didn't already have an interface.
Nevermind, i'm an idiot. For some reason i thought my current interface didn't have adat in, it does. :oops:
It doesn't have lightpipe though.

So not understanding much about how digital actually works, could i run the uad into my current interface (echo audio pre 8), but use the convertors on the uad?

Sorry for the dumb question/assumptions...

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:54 pm

I believe adat and lightpipe are one in the same. So yes you can. Live and learn! no such thing as a stupid ?

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks!