What Did You Work On Today? 8/3/11

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 8/3/11

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 am

Oh man, it's been far too long. Apologies.

So, what are you guys working on/did you work on today, Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:02 am

I cut an acoustic guitar track for a conjunto/reggae band tonight. My 68' J-45 mic'd with an AKG 451 through a Groove Tubes Vipre.
Maybe the best that guitar has sounded in a recording studio.

Normally it's a two mic situation with a LDC at the body and a SDC at the 12th fret.
With this set up I simply had to move the guitar to where the mic was pointed near the sound hole for a more bass sound or toward the fretboard for more snap. It was sick how responsive this mic pre was with the AKG 451.
Daddy want.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:07 am

In the beginning stages of tuning a new, multi-purpose 5.1 surround setup that I just installed in the venue where I work, so I get paid to watch movies all day. :D

Later I'm going to try to finish mixing a live recording I haphazardly made of a group that I sometimes play with. I'm visiting an old friend in NY later this week whom I haven't seen in years; I expect there's going to be a lot of exchange of the different music stuff we've both done since we last saw each other and given that this is the most recent thing that I've done, I'm going to try to use the visit as incentive to get the mix finalized if I can.

And if I have the time after that, I have some scores that need attention (one of those situations where I have them notated out in my own little private shorthand, but they need to be translated over to neater notation if I ever actually plan on using them for anything).
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:28 am

The usual office stuff this morning, electronic repairs, trying to get that printer working on Win7, etc. Afternoon dragging in a tiny PA system for a hospital office grand opening.
Evening probably a bit more work on the current batch of microphones.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:41 am

Usual office web stuff today during the day.

This evening I'm traveling out to a studio and laying down some keys on my pal's jam. I'm pretty stoked on what he's doing -- somewhere between Dump and Floyd. Practiced parts for it Monday eve and last eve. This will be the first time we've worked together, and I'm hoping to extend the relationship.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:28 am

Working on wondering exactly what I should do with this: out collecting firewood in my woods, I chanced upon a spectacular looking little lime-green worm inching along the forest floor. I ran and grabbed my Canon S-95, and ended up making some stunning hi-def movies of it loping along.I would position the camera infront of it and you see its little green pumpkin face gnawing on everything in its path, and even though it moved fairly slowly it's only a minute or so until it lopes out of the frame. Its skin is so translucent, it appears to glow, and when the sunlight plays on it-- well, it's pretty entertaining!

So, the quandary: do I put some kind of soundtrack on it and put it up on my youtube channel, joelpattersondotus? Or is this different enough from a band playing a song that I should create a new channel? Decisions!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:07 am

Yesterday, Tuesday :

Mixing the McEuen Trio album, mixing an album for Martha Redbone, recording a radio show with John McEuen (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), and then to top it off, going to see Styx and Yes in concert.

Pretty good day.

Today, recovery... inventory... mixing a little... resting.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 pm

joelpatterson wrote:...little lime-green worm inching along the forest floor...

So, the quandary: do I put some kind of soundtrack on it and put it up on my youtube channel, joelpattersondotus? Or is this different enough from a band playing a song that I should create a new channel? Decisions!
Keep it on the same channel. I don't think anybody gives a shit about keeping content similar on someone's preordained youtube playlist, but that could just be me...
Also, maybe wait until the acid wears off then make sure you actually saw what you think you saw. That's not an accusation, just a thought based on my own experience. :P

I, myself, am delving yet again into the craphole which is my garage in the attempt at clearing out more stuff so I can hopefully one day ACTUALLY start construction on the new studio.
I. am. getting. a. bit. ansty.

then, off to a "coffee and cheese tasting" that I somehow got talked into attending with some other composer friends. It seems like some pretty weird and unnecessarily complicated pairings for things which don't really go together in my mind, but I look forward to possibly being proven wrong. Fuckin' L.A....

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 pm

oh man gearing up for my album release show tomorrow, assembling some really cool screen printed packaging for it and getting ready to go on the local radio station tonight to hype it up and preview a track. and you know, not sleeping.

it guess this thing has been over two years on and off in the making, i'm really excited for people to hear the full finished product, and to get it off my plate. being on this message board and reading the magazine has definitely encouraged a lot of what went into it... for better or for worse. so thanks yall. and if you are a fan of appalachian minimalist classical indie math rock recorded in weird rooms and with some field recording and other crazy stuff going on, give it a listen if you like.

joel i definitely want to see that worm footage, you've got to make something cool with that!

and as always, what did you do today garges?
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Worked on an edit of a live recording I did for my buddy's band (months ago; it was a freebie that I initiated myself, so it slipped way down to the bottom of the priority list, but I know, I'm a bum)...

Had a meeting with a new prospective jingle client, and delivered a couple of preliminary demos.

Burned some jingle demos for a local radio-sales gal that w'ere working with.

Put a new (used; new to me) mini-fridge in the studio lounge/storage room.

GJ

PS-- Mud, I'd love to hear what a "Conjunto/Reggae band" sounds like! Joel, do you have a special macro lens for your camcorder, or is it just a good focus re: tiny close-up stuff?

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 pm

Mixed the daylights out of an old track my cousins and I recorded back in the early 90's.

Worked on an old pair of speakers I built back then too. My cousin had them in his basement all these years (I gave them to him years ago), and I had forgotten all about them. They sounded like someone throwing roofing nails at a piece of sheet metal. Rewired the crossover and put a 4dB L-pad on the tweeters, and now they sound at least tolerable. Might use them to see how mixes sound on POS speakers.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 am

Just a really excellent lens, goes up to 15x-- when an ant lumbers across the frame, it's like Attack of the Squid People-- squid people disguised as ants, say.

Okay, I'll find some kind of semi-appropriate tune for a soundtrack, and this could be the "comic relief" video-- and I think it's safe to describe my whole life as saying I'm STILL waiting for the acid to wear off! :wink:
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

xaMdaM
audio school graduate

Post by xaMdaM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:31 am

Just another slow day here...

Started the day with a 6am run to bLowe's for shingles and lumber for the outdoor smoker's lounge.

Put up drip edge and the last of the felt paper.

Called and checked on a gear rental - made sure their sessions are going ok.

Met with a rep about getting some imprinted coffee mugs, embroidered shirts, etc., for the studio and a charitable organization I'm involved with.

Booked a live gig and a session.

Silkscreened some t-shirts for the wife's youth group.

Met with the insurance agent.

Put 3 bundles of shingles on the roof.

Hit the rain locker to knock the stank off, then fired up the studio for a 7pm background vocal session... did the session and worked on the prelim rough mix until midnight.

In between, I actually snagged a coupla' morsels of chow, then up and back at it again this morning...

Who said running a studio was boring?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 am

i had a background vocal session last night as well. 3 dudes around a 4050 in omni. they kicked ass, it was a lot of fun.

garages, a fed them some of your bourbon. it's otherwise untouched though!

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:56 pm

fixed a flanking problem and re-squared the control room in our new b room, did a bunch of ceiling blocking for the crazy as fuck barrel roll ceilings in the new bunker, worked on the box for the live room until we ran out of wood, put together a small lumber order for the stuff we need to tie up loose ends, had a meeting with the electrician who is starting monday, had two beers, had a meeting with the LED light dude, then went home and cooked some gnocci with a 3 mushroom ragout (porcini, crimini, and shitake) and passed out.

the party life of a studio co-owner in the process of building.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/