Pye Compressor Compared to plugin

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Pye Compressor Compared to plugin

Post by alcoyot » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Hello!
I have the waves plugin version of the Pye compressor. I love it, and its the main one I always use. I was just wondering if there's anyone on this board who has used both the plugin and the real thing?

While I love the sound of this plugin, I have no idea if it has anything to do with the original unit from the rolling stones truck or wherever.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:11 am

I have used both.
In General, a Plugin version of anything hardware will emulate the range of responses that the designer accommodates, and nothing more.
That means that within a specific range of input/output, the plugin is very very much like the compressor it emulates, in theory.

I have found that unless I am using the exact unit that was used for the emulation or the measurements to create that emulation, then it is not exactly the same (obviously).

I have also used dozens of U67s all over the place and almost none of them sounded "exactly the same." That would also be true of any 1176's, U47's, 670's, LA2A's, etc,etc,etc,etc....

regardless of the GUI that looks like something else, if the thing is a tool you rely on, then it could be represented in any way graphically, right? (of course the GUI affects the experience, I realize).
but just using your ears, it should really not matter. If its a good tool for you: use it.
If it was exactly like the original, it wouldnt make sense to own both... but in the case of plugins, I use my Mpressor plugin on certain thigs, and my Mpressor (hardware) on others, and I dont think of them as the "same" device.

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Cool that's a great answer. I still want to try the real thing. Maybe someone will start making affordable replicas.
"It will be mine, oh yes,, it will be mine"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:18 pm

To me, the Pye compressor sounds like a really trashy version of the dbx 160 VU compressors. I've heard one recording (of a tambourine) that ever made me think of the Pye compressors I've used. I could see owning one being a cool thing, but I've not since gone out of my way to find one. To me, what's cool about it is a very specific and somewhat limitied tonal characteristic and not so much the compressor action. I guess if you were really trying to make a sonic clone of the Village Green Preservation Society album you should seek out handfuls of them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:52 am

I believe Tracey Korby had a RETRO like remake in the works some time ago, but it never went into production. I'd imagine that even with the plugins of classic gear being made the hardware will still be sought after because it really is something completely different. Plus, what plugin do you use with a tape machine...?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:27 am

whats a tape machine?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 am

Chris:

I hear you, fully... but that is sort of true of a lot of the pieces I really like. I dont own a PYE either... I never made it a priority to get one or a pair. I just used the pair they have at Avatar a few times.

The color is the point, IMHO, like you said. For the speicific coloration it imparts. Thats the whole reason I have a zillion compressor choices: each one imparts SOMETHING on the signal, even without getting into the ballistics of the compression circuit itself.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:33 am

Well, that's kind of my point. I have yet to hear many plug-ins that get much more than the compressor action right in an emulation thing. If the tone of the unit gets nailed, cool, but if it's more about just getting the compressor action right, there are other things that will do that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

cgarges wrote: I guess if you were really trying to make a sonic clone of the Village Green Preservation Society album you should seek out handfuls of them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
How'd you guess my plan? I guess I still have to figure out what other gear they used for that. Do I have to also buy a PYE console?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:49 pm

Probably. And at least four dudes ready to kill each other all the time.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Pye Compressor Compared to plugin

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:50 pm

alcoyot wrote:Hello!
I have the waves plugin version of the Pye compressor. I love it, and its the main one I always use. I was just wondering if there's anyone on this board who has used both the plugin and the real thing?

While I love the sound of this plugin, I have no idea if it has anything to do with the original unit from the rolling stones truck or wherever.
Hi alcoyot,
Don't worry, at some point someone will create another plug in and you'll fall in love with that one.
Really, you should never worry about whether a plug in sounds like a real compressor.
They all are different, and they all are useful. What tickles your inner ear is what matters, not as much what brand of thing got you that sound.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 am

joel hamilton wrote:whats a tape machine?
A plug-in.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:15 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:whats a tape machine?
A plug-in.
I'm partial to Glade plug-ins myself. The VSTs are pretty good.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com