Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Ridiculous!

Post by casey campbell » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 am

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:03 am

Hmmmm..... Where have I seen this before?

Oh Yes!!!

Mexico, from 1975 through the mid 2000's

When the economy tanks, government jobs become less stable, and some zealous government officials get it in their thick skulls to outdo each other, in a desperate bid to keep their jobs.

We The People, get to suffer these damned fools.

Enjoy your next pat down on the way back in from anywhere...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:10 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Hmmmm..... Where have I seen this before?

Oh Yes!!!

Mexico, from 1975 through the mid 2000's

When the economy tanks, government jobs become less stable, and some zealous government officials get it in their thick skulls to outdo each other, in a desperate bid to keep their jobs.

We The People, get to suffer these damned fools.

Enjoy your next pat down on the way back in from anywhere...
I think it's funny that they are wearing their side-arms. Ok, now everyone hand over the ebony and rosewood, and no one will get hurt....

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:14 am

casey campbell wrote: I think it's funny that they are wearing their side-arms. Ok, now everyone hand over the ebony and rosewood, and no one will get hurt....
They are the F.B.I.... Federally Braindead Idiots.

The guns are so people don't accidentally talk to them.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 am

I think it's funny that the knee jerk reaction is to get pissed at the FBI, and not be pissed at Gibson. this isn't the first time they've been slapped down about this.

No argument. This is in no way a pressing issue....trading in illegal wood.... But I would be surprised if Gibson wasn't aware of what they were doing.

For the record......to me it's far more ridiculous that the atf and FBI waste their time on a "war on drugs". I'd actually like to see the rainforest preserved. Prisons full of small time pot dealers. Now That's bad for the economy.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:50 am

further on in the article though describes how it is legal for the feds to confiscate an individual's instrument if you can't prove where the wood came from, or if you cannot prove its a certain vintage.... like the guy who almost got several years in prison for having some bosendorfer pianos...

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:52 am

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... st_crisis/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_lo ... Madagascar

I think you are jumping to the conclusion of "big gummint interference" in a biased fashion. If (as the obnoxiously conservative WSJ agrees) Gibson is importing Madagascar ebony -- its a big deal.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:55 am

I'm so mad! I'm gonna go do some drugs and set some trees on fire!
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 am

apropos of nothing wrote:http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com ... st_crisis/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_lo ... Madagascar

I think you are jumping to the conclusion of "big gummint interference" in a biased fashion. If (as the obnoxiously conservative WSJ agrees) Gibson is importing Madagascar ebony -- its a big deal.
That is a better report. I am so tired of reading news reports like the first one, which do not contain much facts, and only have the "what happened" in a nice vacuum.

Yes, if Gibson has been importing illegal wood, this raid then makes sense.

The law mentioned though, is quite vague. I know for I have had a few friends who play guitars and have Ben harassed by customs agents.

There is no possible way for someone who owns a wooden instrument made before they were born, to know exactly what each individual piece of that instrument is made of, and it's exact origins. This is rather ridonkulous.

Cheers

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:09 am

But still... These armed FBI dudes should be working on reducing violent crime and illegal drug trade.

Last time I checked people don't get killed very often by guitars... Even electric ones.

Rant off...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 am

That article has a lot of standard WSJ Tea Bagger Bait about what COULD happen. But, the only example they could provide was not some average sap being harassed about taking his guitar overseas. It was about a dealer, importing pianos without the proper, legal paperwork to do so. He fucked up. He should have known better. I can't imagine he's the first guy to import some pianos from overseas. Is he the only one who didn't have his paperwork straight?

This is the new lightbulb controversy. It's a first world problem for people who value collectable instruments more than lives in third world countries.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:01 am

FBI agents carry guns, that's just normal and expected. I don't see the big deal. And they have task forces that carry out many different missions; this just happens to be one of them. Again, I don't see the big deal.

And anyway, screw Gibson and the horse they rode in on. They ask way too much money for their guitars. Also, let's not look the other way from the fact that they've put the big squeeze on so many small mom and pop guitar shops over the past few years with their BS quota requirements. If small shops don't sell a certain number of Gibson guitars and pay to stock a certain number of Gibson guitars, they can't sell Gibson any longer.

Gibson has been way out of control and have been lacking in quality for a long time IMO. YMMV, of course.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:09 am

I'm so mad! I'm gonna go do some drugs and set some trees on fire!

:lol:

Thank you for that....it made me laugh

Indeed, Gibson's business practices should be the focus of any reasonable person's ire..... Not the FBI jobbers who are pretty much punching the clock and doing their jobs. Now if they were investigating me, I'd be Hating on them too....but I'd be doing it silently, in disguise...from another country. Maybe that's what Henry juskowiscz is up to....he's still running Gibson no?

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 am

Wasn't Gibson voted one of the worst American companies to work for?

And on top of that they're illegally importing protected woods?

And their guitars are way overpriced?

Bust their asses.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:55 am

What studio is this? I've never seen enviro-bubble used as acoustic treatment. Those guys sure have a lot of guitars!

:P
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com