cad trion 8000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

cad trion 8000

Post by digital eagle audio » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:55 pm

for 200 bucks there is nothing better. so far on this record i've used it on guitar, violin, drum overhead, congas, piano, and accordion. i've loved it on everything, although it took some tinkering to get the highs on the fiddle under control.
um, my only complaint is the shockmount. i'm gonna get a different one - every point of articulation gets loose, and the threads are half-stripped.

not a big deal though, in view of how nice it sounds.
this is my current band
http://bearstorm.bandcamp.com/

this is my old band
http://www.myspace.com/thehotdamnsrva

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:13 am

cad is a weird company. Most every cad mic I have ever seen is total garbage. I had a few 22's years ago as backup mics. Awful mics. I also had one of the Cad drum kits. Barely functional and was nice to have a box of mics that cost less than $150 total when a scum rock band roared into town.
But then they have the E100 and a few others that not only dont suck, but are actually kind of neat.
They really should just split their brand into CAD and uh not cad. I suggest Buckeye as I believe they are based in Ohio?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:23 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:cad is a weird company. Most every cad mic I have ever seen is total garbage. I had a few 22's years ago as backup mics. Awful mics. I also had one of the Cad drum kits. Barely functional and was nice to have a box of mics that cost less than $150 total when a scum rock band roared into town.
But then they have the E100 and a few others that not only dont suck, but are actually kind of neat.
very true!

if they could just get a solid line, it would really help.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:04 pm

casey campbell wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:cad is a weird company. Most every cad mic I have ever seen is total garbage. I had a few 22's years ago as backup mics. Awful mics. I also had one of the Cad drum kits. Barely functional and was nice to have a box of mics that cost less than $150 total when a scum rock band roared into town.
very true!

if they could just get a solid line, it would really help.
The E-200 is not bad.. Even if it is "posing" as a LDC..! ( it's only a half inch diaphram.. :roll: ..)..Works ok tho'..

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:55 am

The CAD M9 is a great mic. I use it for just about everything and it's never sounded bad on anything. I'd recommend it to anyone, just as it was recommended to me. I really want to try the Trion series.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Wm Idle
audio school

Post by Wm Idle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:01 pm

I have recently been considering a CAD Trion 8000. Many links have suggested that the tube is a 6J1 (EF95, 5654). According to CAD tech support, the tube is a 6YJ. No substitutes. Available from CAD for $20. I can not find any info on a 6YJ. Has anyone replaced a tube on a Trion 8000, or can just clear this up for me? Is there a substitute for a 6YJ? I would rather have a $10 6J1 on backup than pay CAD $20 for an unknown tube.

Thank you in advance,
Bill

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:31 pm

i have an early e300. maybe 80's? early 90's? anyway, its a great mic for a variety of stuff. for female vocals i prefer it to my gefell. amazing on kick drum.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 am

I just bought a CAD M179 and have tested it - seems pretty cool, and I look forward to trying it on drums.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.