New interface

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

New interface

Post by Sculli » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Considering moving up from a BLA digi002. Using Logic the most. Would like to here from Logic folks on what they're using and why. Looking at RME and Apogee.Even considering Burl. All thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
Peace,
Kevin

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 am

While I'm not personally a Logic guy, we have tons of Logic based customers using the Lynx Aurora converters. I also own/use two of the Aurora16s with my PTHD rig. They are stellar converters with absolutely no coloration.

Bear in mind that when you're deciding both the Burl and Apogee boxes color the sound. Personally I don't want color in my conversion. That's why I have outboard gear, mics, preamps, etc. On the conversion end I want the recorded sound to be as close to the original as possible.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:57 pm

That's all well and good, as long as you forget that Burl and Apogee's coloration can sound kind of awesome compared to many flatter converters. To each their own, for sure. The Lynx stuff is definitely alright in my book too. Never had problem with any of them here.

RME makes great soundcards at a lower pricepoint, but if money were no obstacle, I'd give priority to any of the above, especially the Burl. That said, if you can't make a really good-sounding record on some RME's, then the problem isn't with the converters!

Any of these choices will be fine. I think the most important thing to do is listen to a few in budget and choose what speaks most your ears! Everyone is different. Your unique set of preferences is what will make your records sound cool.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Metric Halo? I have the old 2882 and ULN-2. They both have mic-pres. They now have a LIO-8 which is pure conversion (there's a ULN-8 with mic-pres). I'm strictly hobbyist and these are the only convertors I've ever heard and, to me, they sound great. Based on their email list, the more professional users think highly of their stuff in terms of conversion.

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Kittonian, I've read there might be some driver issues with Lynx and Fossiltooth the same with RME with macs not pcs. I'm looking at the Burl because an engineer friend swears by the UA 2192.I've heard good things about Metric Halo but the prices are a bit steep. I guess some travel is in my future as I am in a small northern town and don't have access to any of the suggestions. All great by the way and much appreciated. 3 grand or so might be my limit right now.Thanks again!
Peace,
Kevin

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:24 pm

So it looks like the Apogee Symphony I/O is the winner. Anybody using this piece with just the usb connection? Latency issues with usb? I plan on eventually getting the Symphony 64 card. But would like to make the upgrade as soon as possible. I'm using both Logic and PT. Thanks for any and all comments.
Peace,
Kevin

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:26 am

Too late! Got the card this morning. Onward and upward!
Peace,
Kevin