snare compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crunchy
audio school

snare compressor

Post by crunchy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:15 pm

please recommend a analog compressor for snares that offers heavy punch, chunky sound with snappy attack. to be used with drum machine only and no acoustic.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:47 pm

THere are so many that work really well for drums...
Distressor.
Dbx 160a or x or xt.
symetrix 501.
inovonics 201
so many more...
LA2A..
LA3A...
what are you wanting to happen?

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:19 pm

If you want something dirty and upfront, I've been into the cbs volumax 410. Not a usual suspect, but the one we have can make the snare super aggressive. Sometimes great, other times unwelcome. I don't think they cost much, probably too unpleasant for mass consumption.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Budget?

Music Style?

Original drum machine is?

Example of Resulting snare sounds like what?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

crunchy
audio school

Post by crunchy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:38 pm

i need a compressor for Linndrum snare to sound like Micheal Jackson's Billy Jean, or Skrillex's scary monsters and happy sprites video 2:24. Other examples Dilemn's snare on Modern Slave or most of Mr Oizo's tracks. I currently have MC77, Transpressor, Distressor, and xpressor -- none of them have the chunky punch I'm hearing on the tracks mentioned. My style is dub step, hip hop, and electro breakbeat.

Rikharthu
audio school

Post by Rikharthu » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:11 am

To me it sounds like you're having an issue with the sound itself, not the compression.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:49 am

Yeah, look for a drummer, and a drum that sounds like that. Tune it up right, put the right mic on it, put that through a good pre.

But then again I never have any luck trying to make something sound like something else. Everything I work on is on a scale of bad to good and sounds mostly like itself.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:53 am

crunchy wrote:i need a compressor for Linndrum snare to sound like Micheal Jackson's Billy Jean, or Skrillex's scary monsters and happy sprites video 2:24. Other examples Dilemn's snare on Modern Slave or most of Mr Oizo's tracks. I currently have MC77, Transpressor, Distressor, and xpressor -- none of them have the chunky punch I'm hearing on the tracks mentioned. My style is dub step, hip hop, and electro breakbeat.
Hi,

Pick ONE of these sounds.

As to the MJ kick, it is a human drummer, miced up. Not a machine at all. There's plenty on this one subject online, if you look for it.

The Chunky punch comes from the kick drum and how it was recorded, not as much the mix end of it.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 pm

crunchy wrote:I currently have MC77, Transpressor, Distressor, and xpressor -- none of them have the chunky punch I'm hearing on the tracks mentioned.
Yeah, those are some damn fine compressors. Most engineers should be so lucky. Definitely look into the source sound. A great compressor can help perfect a great sound. But it won't deliver one by itself.

crunchy
audio school

Post by crunchy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:48 am

thank you so much for these recommendations. that inovonics 201 looks impressive. based on descriptions it must sound incredible. I must buy one. I'm a suffering gear junkie and cashing out life saving buying all these compressors. I cannot help it. I need counseling. the symetrix 501 also looks interesting. when did they end production on these?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:17 am

Sorry, I realize I misread the first post. I didn't understand that you're talking about a drum machine. You definitely don't need to compress a drum mean to get consistent levels. I can see trying it for sonic purposes, but you might just want another machine/ sample etc. Don't cash out your life savings.

top_ape
alignin' 24-trk

Re: snare compressor

Post by top_ape » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 pm

crunchy wrote:please recommend a analog compressor for snares that offers heavy punch, chunky sound with snappy attack. to be used with drum machine only and no acoustic.
I actually know of a unit that does give you heavy punch and snappy attack and chunky sound. It's actually really warm too. Unfortunately it's digital though. :(

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Punch and chunk:

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:12 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:Punch and chunk:
I vote for THIS thing! hahaha!

I bet it works.
Harumph!

casey campbell