Current omnidirectional dynamics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:19 pm

"TOMB," otherwise known as "There Goes the Neighborhood"
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:42 am

FWIW, and it's a condensor, but the CAD M179 is very cool and notta lotta scratch (US$150 street.)

One excellent aspect is that the pattern is infinitely variable, from hyper-cardoid to fig.8 to omni.

I have a 635a, BTW; hate it on drums, love it on vox, find it useful for guitar amps.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:06 am

vvv wrote:
I have a 635a, BTW; hate it on drums, love it on vox, find it useful for guitar amps.
Percussion.
Shakers, tambourine, all that stuff...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Cool, I'll try summa that, thanx.

Of all things, I also been liking it on vox at band practice when I'm sitting down playing bass and running the recorder; I have it set pointing vertically up right in front of my seat, and it picks up easily and nicely within a larger area than a cardoid, and also sounds good.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:13 am

vvv wrote:FWIW, and it's a condensor, but the CAD M179 is very cool and notta lotta scratch (US$150 street.)

One excellent aspect is that the pattern is infinitely variable, from hyper-cardoid to fig.8 to omni.

Does the CAD sound good with a high SPL source? I was a little worried about jamming a condenser in such close proximity to drums and thought a dynamic might handle the job better.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:25 am

A surprising number of vintage dynamics are omnis...
EVs and Shures, and those old weirdly shaped Americans...
Here's a Shure I picked up the other day for ten bucks...
Nice that it's XLR'ed...

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:00 am

cgarges wrote:I also suggest taking a look at the Beyer M101. It's a cleaner-sounding omnidirectional dynamic with less noise than the 635A.
+1
The M101 is the omni version of the 201 and is definitely more "hi-fi" than the 635. Still love the 635 on most Fender amps.

Also keep an eye out for an EV 654, a Shure 576 and Audio-Technica's version of the 635 - the AT804.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:04 am

And the EV 655....!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:45 pm

tonewoods wrote:A surprising number of vintage dynamics are omnis...
EVs and Shures, and those old weirdly shaped Americans...
Here's a Shure I picked up the other day for ten bucks...
Nice that it's XLR'ed...

Let me know if you find a good use for that. I've got a 535 that I tried (unsuccessfully) to unload. I haven't had any interest so I might just put it back in the locker until I find a use for it or try to unload it again.
It's pretty good but I never loved it on anything. Maybe I should try it out again.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:37 pm

kinger wrote:
vvv wrote:FWIW, and it's a condensor, but the CAD M179 is very cool and notta lotta scratch (US$150 street.)

Does the CAD sound good with a high SPL source? I was a little worried about jamming a condenser in such close proximity to drums and thought a dynamic might handle the job better.
I've a loud voice, and it's not been a prob. :twisted:

More to the point; various posters on the interttage rave about it as a tom mic.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:49 pm

mechanicalmastering wrote:+9 on the 635a, it's awwwwwesome, and they're STILL being made! For Cheap! Super creamy, brown electric gtrs,,, awesome background vocals, (awesome "background" anything, really), awesome room mic, super unique, totally versitile and incredibly "blendable" with other mics. They are round and smooth but can also be made to be articulate and somewhat focused, (with enough EQ), and best part is, there's little or no "icepick" frequencies that, as a mastering engineer, I am not very fond of at all. Great addition if you're recording digitally.
I know it's been reiterated, but I had to quote this again. totally on the money. when I saw this thread title the first thing I thought was "635a."

I'll also suggest that the 635a makes an incredible mono drum overhead. I've used it alongside spaced ribbons many a time for that articulate, forward cymbal sound that the riibbons sometimes don't achieve.

it takes very well to the character of the preamp it's used with, and I've found that it can trash up real easily. heavy limiting brings out something akin to that Ringo White Album mono drum thing.
get up with it