it's like buying a boat, innit?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Liv Pooleside
ass engineer

it's like buying a boat, innit?

Post by Liv Pooleside » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:17 pm

1,100 sq ft, cement floor, drywalled walls and ceiling.

27' by 39' by 9'4"

wish me luck...
This will prove a brave kingdom to me
Where I shall have my music for nothing

StudioChris37
ass engineer

Post by StudioChris37 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:23 pm

In the words of Lana Kane: "Yuuuuuuuuuuup!"

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:18 am

good luck!
Blah!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:54 pm

cool!

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:42 am

"If it floats, flies, or fucks....RENT IT" - Tommy Earl Bruner (more or less)

That said, go for it!
It sets you apart from all the other people that never went for it. ;)

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:03 am

not sure if this is what you're referencing, but it came immediately to mind: the old quote, "a boat is really just a hole in the water where you throw money."
and, tell me about it. this summer i started building my first real, dedicated studio - five months later i'm already a grand over budget and still not even close to being ready to set my gear up. my mod list and gearlust are looking more and more to be permanently on hold... but still, it's a great feeling to know that once it's there, never again will i have to worry about a touchy landlord or vindictive breakup messing me up.
Village Idiot.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:56 am

Another boat owner joke: "The two happiest days of a boat owner's life is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat."

It's worse than building a studio, I think. :D

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:22 pm

"experience the wonder and excitement of sailboat racing at home. Stand in a cold shower with your clothes on and tear up $100 bills".

I've torn up my own share of $100's trying to keep a 1300 sq.ft. tracking room going for the past 11 years. I wish you better overall luck than I've had...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Liv Pooleside
ass engineer

That's it exactly

Post by Liv Pooleside » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:58 am

Thanks for the good wishes.

The first major expense will be the kitchen remodel in the nearby house which for some reason I had to purchase in order to get this. It won't help the acoustics in THIS room, but it will smooth the response when me and the missus move in there.

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:29 am

Break
Out
Another
Thousand ... heh...

That said, I just had my first built-out garage stall studio fully demolished because we are redoing the whole garage roof and it was in the way. As soon as the "real" builders are gone, I'm totally going to build out another space with insulation and electric heat just like before. Except this time I'm going to use less material (eg 24 inch on center studs, not 16, since I'm not bothering with inspectors and permits anyway) and I'm not going to let it fill up with crap I never use.

So if you are looking for advice, that's mine: 1. don't overbuild it, just get walls up so they will insulate noise and temperatures without falling over; and don't let it fill up with junk. Be very judicious about what you bring in there. It's not much fun taking all the junk out of there someday. Cheers

EDIT: oh man. Your available space is way bigger than mine. You probably will want to observe building codes and whatnot. Mine, I'm building with the goal of it NOT ever being deemed a habitable "bedroom" (our garage is attached to the house) and also the goal of being able to demolish it easily in a day if we decide to move away, which is probably ultimately inevitable anyway if we live long enough.

Liv Pooleside
ass engineer

Post by Liv Pooleside » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:06 pm

This used to be a contractor's shop and "play room," where his hobby was painting motorcycles. It's just about everything you could ask for in raw space- snug, well built, about 100' from the nearest residents.

The down side is that it's less than a mile from a busy interstate. I've yet to record there (other than some ambient recordings to establish a baseline), but inside with everything shut tight the traffic noise is there.

My basement studio had three things going for it- it was acoustically isolated from outside noise, it was fairly easy to heat (just turn on all the equipment and a couple of lights), and it had lots of joists and pipes to hang stuff from!

This new space already sounds better WITH all the junk I've moved in- never underestimate the value of random objects for diffraction. I'll have to deal with the liveness and with the street noise on a budget- but it's going to be fun!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:52 am

>>>>The down side is that it's less than a mile from a busy interstate. I've yet to record there (other than some ambient recordings to establish a baseline), but inside with everything shut tight the traffic noise is there.<<<<

We have space in an old industrial building, with tracking room windows facing a fairly major/busy road (day and night). We thought about window plugs; haven't got a roundtuit yet... Was thinking through all kinds of schemes for window microphones for phase reversal, etc., etc. But the reality is, you can't hear the traffic noise in the tracks (even though you can sometimes hear it on the phones). Not with bass, drums, and guitar.

Vocals and voice-over is something else entirely, which is why we built a little "open vocal booth" (padded area in the corner of the back room behind a closed door): problem solved. With proper treatment, the corner isn't a problem, and with space and wood between the street and the mike, it's all good.

It either won't bother you at all, or you'll find a way around it.

GJ

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Gregg Juke wrote:. We thought about window plugs; haven't got a roundtuit yet...
they make a big difference. but yeah, if you're tracking a rock band, the traffic noise is gonna be inconsequential. ambient noise is annoying on vocals though, if you like lots of compression. which i (and most singers) do.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 pm

My place is across the street from Boeing Field in Seattle. I built a burly iso booth for the quiet stuff, and for late night loud guitar tracking. I track drums and other instruments out in the main room. Haven't had a problem with airplanes, or large trucks going in and out of the airport yet!

But its all rock and roll!

You'll be fine. What a great space to build out!

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:47 am

trodden wrote:
But its all rock and roll!
You brute!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net