AT Pro37r vs. "Alice" by Scott Helmke

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:36 pm

The capsule that's in there is pretty damn good - haven't found anything really better, actually. I have done a modified capsule version which ends up being called "Audrey" instead of "Alice", though it doesn't make a big difference. More of a different color, maybe a little darker.

The "secret", which of course really isn't a secret, is just using quality components instead of shaving every tenth of a cent to make a price point friendly to Guitar Center customers. Aside from a few bucks on a website and business cards I don't spend any money on marketing at all.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 am

Like classic mic's of days gone by that people drool over today, I know my Alice will still be kickin' 20+ years from now and not be suffering from cheap burned out cap's or some other issue with poor quality of components and design. Right down to the Switchcraft XLR mount the Alice is built to endure the test of time and be a reliable buddy in my studio.

Another funny thing about the Alice is I never have to EQ my Alice tracks. YMMV of course, but especially with electric guitar...no EQ. Super solid bottom end, unhyped hi's, and mids that are freakishly glowing and accurate. And for me it's all about the mids. The mids seem to be where an instrument lives, and if I can capture that faithful and solid, I'm a happy camper.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:19 pm

FWIW, I used the Alice in VO sessions today. The context is I read and record scripts for clients, no need to go into details I guess.

Usually I track an 4033 straight from a ZED14 into my DAW via USB from the ZED. I've also used an 012 w/omni amp'd by an EH 12AY7 pre. At times I've used an EV N/DYM series mic.

The Alice sounded fantastic. I'd never used it in this application before and thought I'd experiment since the mic had come up here on TOMB. Test runs were satisfying yesterday when I was setting everything up in prep.

Fader at unity, Gain pot way up at +50dB. Self-noise matched what I get from the 4033, which is to say (IMO) not a factor. Top notch. The mic was setup about 18+ inches in front of me, slightly above mouth level and barely off axis.

This will certainly be my new setup for my future sessions. No EQ necessary on the board and none will be used when I master to CD for clients. There wasn't any sibilance and the bottom end was nice and full but still tight and punchy. I will use Voxengo Elephant for Limiting and adding about +3dB of gain.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:04 am

So Kenny, did the Alice catch the 'chest' of the vocals alright? I'm guessing it did or you wouldn't be pleased with it for the VO work. Any chance of posting a clip?

Anybody else with vocal samples (sung or spoken) would be great too!

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:04 am

I have 4 of the 37's because they are so useful. Very much a go-to on guitar cabs as well and super good on overheads, acoustic guitar and even snare and bass cabinets. I think I use them in a lot of situations where a person might use a 57. I got all of them used and never paid more than $70 for any of them. Given that the Alice is only $250, it seems silly not to buy them both. If one doesn't see action, then sell it. I hear what Joel is saying about buying hand-made and non-corporate, and if it was between buying either brand new, then I would give Scott my money as it the right thing to do. I would not throw the 37 under the bus though. Buy them both but buy the 37 off of craigslist.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:29 pm

My band used Pro37s for OHs (ORTF style) on the drums for our new EP and we really liked 'em. They guy who mixed us has all the top-shelf stuff and knows how to use it, and he was astonished with what we were able to do with the 37s (carpeted bedroom, but fairly meticulously treated with 703-style bass traps). This statement is only so useful because I cannot compare them to the Alice, but you can hear the 37s in action on my Myspace link, below. I know myspace blows for music listening, but there they are. If it helps to pick things out in my reference, snare is a Studio Project C-1, Audix D6 on kick, Audix I-5 on floor tom, sm57 on tom. I used the 37 for a non-traditional electric guitar sound on a couple tracks, but was not happy withe the resultant sound on its own, either close, medium or distance mic'd.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Any chance of posting a clip?
+1

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Jitters wrote:So Kenny, did the Alice catch the 'chest' of the vocals alright? I'm guessing it did or you wouldn't be pleased with it for the VO work. Any chance of posting a clip?

Anybody else with vocal samples (sung or spoken) would be great too!
Been super busy with the day gig.

I'll record a short test clip tomorrow and email you the unprocessed 24 bit clip. PM me with your email addy.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks!