Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

500Norsepower
audio school

Post by 500Norsepower » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 am

Mid-70's Pioneer PLC-590 series 20 turntable with grace tone arm. A friend had it in his garage.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 am

Glad you could give Frank a new home! I'm going to miss that guy, well minus the drinking and the fighting; but great mic none the less!

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:22 am

yeah... see.. i'm kinda into the drinking and fighting
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Shure M267, freaking destroys drums!

And I'm ordering transformers for my API 312 clones built around the Bearcat 412 project.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Snicker all you want, but I just picked up an Aphex Aural Exciter for $70 AND I FRICKEN LOVE IT! I wish I had got one years ago despite everyone telling me what a POS it's supposed to be.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Reason 3.0. Time for some drum programing and sound designing.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Reason 3.0. Time for some drum programing and sound designing.
Kind of locked back in time aren't we? :o

Should have done the "pay what you want" upgrade a couple months ago where Propellerhead let you upgrade from any version up to 6.0. 6.0 by the way is fantastic, I have been a fan of Reason since the beginning but making it into an actual DAW (along with some of the later instruments and effects) make it a fantastic writing/remixing tool. Some features such as the way it handles time stretching and raw audio data I prefer over Pro Tools.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:38 pm

kslight wrote:
Brett Siler wrote:Reason 3.0. Time for some drum programing and sound designing.
Kind of locked back in time aren't we?
Oh yeah. i'm running Pro Tools 6.4 TDM on a Mac G4 Tower and OSX 10.3.9. I think I'm a decade behind in terms of computer stuff. I love it though, It works solid, and it forces me out of the pressure to update to all the newset software each year and all the headaches that come along with that. Plus I can spend all that extra cash on outboard gear! :D

I kinda hope Reason to be a versatile synth, for new sounds and emulation classic synth sounds. Plus crazy drum programming.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Brett Siler wrote:
kslight wrote:
Kind of locked back in time aren't we?
Oh yeah. i'm running Pro Tools 6.4 TDM on a Mac G4 Tower and OSX 10.3.9. I think I'm a decade behind in terms of computer stuff. I love it though, It works solid, and it forces me out of the pressure to update to all the newset software each year and all the headaches that come along with that. Plus I can spend all that extra cash on outboard gear! :D

I kinda hope Reason to be a versatile synth, for new sounds and emulation classic synth sounds. Plus crazy drum programming.
No doubt by no means trying to knock you down, Reason is great no matter what version you are in...but they really have made the updates worthwhile IMHO. It is in fact very flexible, I wrote and recorded an album and an EP where all the synths/drums were done in Reason 3.0...(though I sampled some real synths for the drums rather than use the factory sounds).

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:20 pm

I didn't take it that way, no worries. I' excited to start using it, and messing with sampled synths. I've been listening to a lot of John Carpenter soundtracks lately so maybe I'll try and cover a track from one of them.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:21 pm

This year being totally happy with everything as it is in my studio I spent money on this board instead of mic's, pre's or instruments:

http://www.gravityboard.com/pages/gstor ... bl30.html#

Highly recommended and no need to buy in pairs :twisted:
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Just received and eagerly wanting to try out...

Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar (what can I say I'm a sucker for cheese and oddballs)
Pigtronix Keymaster (I've got so many pedals now I'm wanting to try this with)
Boss RC-300 Loopstation + assorted footswitches (as popular as looping is getting I really want to see what I can do with it...got a new project started that will benefit from this workflow greatly as I'm doing it computerless)

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:14 pm

kslight wrote:Just received and eagerly wanting to try out...

Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar (what can I say I'm a sucker for cheese and oddballs)
Boss RC-300 Loopstation + assorted footswitches (as popular as looping is getting I really want to see what I can do with it...got a new project started that will benefit from this workflow greatly as I'm doing it computerless)
Holy crap, when did EH come out with the Ravish box? Just this year? Very interested to hear what you think of it. Please fill us in.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Keymaster is definitely on my wish list.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:01 pm

KennyLusk wrote:
kslight wrote:Just received and eagerly wanting to try out...

Holy crap, when did EH come out with the Ravish box? Just this year? Very interested to hear what you think of it. Please fill us in.
A couple months ago. If you are a fan of the POG/HOG pedals they make then you will like it. It definitely has a synthetic sound to it to some extent (similar to what I call the POG sound), but it goes in a much more interesting range than the POG and then you have the sympathetic drones. The timbre controls offer a surprising amount of tonal variety and there are presets which I haven't really gotten my head around yet. Also not one but 2 expression jacks for the control junkies. I only spent about 15 mins with it but it is pretty cool...takes a minute to dial it in but you can definitely come up with some interesting tones (sitar-ish or not...some settings lend more to synthesizer-ish). I tried it with a bass VI style guitar (my main axe) and a regular guitar. Definitely need a regular guitar to get somewhat realistic sitar-ish tones, but with the bass you can get some odd bass synth things happening. I'm also very curious to find out what happens when drum machines/synths/etc are effected by this.

Its maybe a bit expensive for cheese at $240 and rather specialized but I'm not aware of anything that goes to similar sonic territories...definitely not as much of a one trick pony as say an electric sitar would be to your rig...you can forgo the whole sitar bill on it if you want and have fun.