1966 Vintage Slingerland Drumset in White Marine Pearl

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

1966 Vintage Slingerland Drumset in White Marine Pearl

Post by kittonian » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm

After careful consideration and a lot of discussion, I have decided to sell my prized vintage 1966 Slingerland drumset.

I purchased this drumset 8 years ago after scouring the world for a museum quality vintage Slingerland kit. It was used once in a recording studio to record an album and has been in its original vinyl cases ever since. The drums themselves are virtually flawless and with the exception of possibly wishing to put new heads on, there is nothing that needs to be done. I can honestly say without a doubt that these are the finest sounding drums I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I will be sad to see them go but know that whoever purchases them will enjoy them for many years to come.

I have put up a website containing more information and 19 photos at:
http://www.audiolot.com/studios/slingerland

If you are in the LA area and would like to come by to see the drums in person please let me know. I will ship worldwide and obviously everything will be extremely carefully packed. Shipping will be at the buyer's expense. Otherwise, local pickup is welcomed.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 am

not to be a downer, but i think your price is EXTREMELY high! While these are nice drums, they aren't that rare.

Lovely kit, but I think you might want to manage your expectations a bit. This is probably a 2500-3000 dollar kit... then add the cymbals...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm

oldguitars wrote:not to be a downer, but i think your price is EXTREMELY high! While these are nice drums, they aren't that rare.

Lovely kit, but I think you might want to manage your expectations a bit. This is probably a 2500-3000 dollar kit... then add the cymbals...
While I appreciate your advice, this kit is one of a kind and the drums alone were estimated to be over $12k and that was 8 years ago. With the original hardware and the vintage cymbals the estimated current value of the kit is between $15k-$20k. Vintage Slingerland kits from 1966 simply do not exist in this pristine of condition. They are literally like new.

The price I am asking is very reasonable and well below the estimated value.

Additionally, I am open to reasonable offers and gear trades (also willing to offset the cost instead of a straight up trade situation).

The list of gear I'm looking for is (all gear trades must be in mint condition with the original packaging):

Retro Instruments 176
Retro Instruments Sta-Level
Inward Connections Vac-Rac TSL-3 (or 4)
AMS Neve 1073 (module only)
Brent Averill 1073 (module only and must be Brent Averill not the new BAE)
GML 8200
Purple Audio MC77 (or MC76)
Chandler TG1
API 550A
TubeTech CL1B
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer

zulu sound
takin' a dinner break

Post by zulu sound » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Are those USA or Istanbul "Turkish" Zildjians? Sizes? If they are Istans you should list the weight in grams, esp the ride cymbal.

Is it a one ply snare? That would make it more valuable, but I don't think Slingerland did one ply snares with that strainer.

These are things that will help determine price and add value to a collector's condition kit.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:36 am

I think you can ask what you like for the kit, but anything near 9500 is not going to happen. You'll be sitting on this a long time.
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:58 am

for $9500 they better be gene krupa's old kit. how about all the original hardware, fresh heads, and a back story?... something.

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 pm

FRIZEYED wrote:for $9500 they better be gene krupa's old kit. how about all the original hardware, fresh heads, and a back story?... something.
All the original hardware, in perfect condition is included, along with the original vinyl cases for drum.

The cymbals are the original Istanbul Zildjians and a new set of heads of the buyer's choice will be included.

Not too sure what to say about the back story except that if you watch That Thing You Do, you'll see an identical kit in the movie (in the same immaculate condition, at least through the camera's eyes).

As far as the price, I've talked with a lot of people who know what they're doing and they've all agreed that the price is very fair, not too mention I'm willing to reasonably negotiate and am accepting gear trades towards the cost.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 pm

bump
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer

jds622
audio school

Post by jds622 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Hmm - are you willing to sell just the cymbals? I think $2000-3000 may be a little high for this - I'm trying to sell a snare from '65 in pretty good shape, but I'm asking $200 -- so even with the pristine condition, seems pretty high. Consider selling on consignment with Steve Maxwell - they have the highest prices, but largest reach in the market. - best, J

dontfeartheringo
audio school graduate

Post by dontfeartheringo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:03 pm

I don't see what everybody's freaking out about. Sure, the market is down, but $950 is a good price for this kit.

I'd pay a grand for it, esp with cymbals thrown in.
there'll always be money and whores and drunkards
down to the last bomb,
but as God said,
crossing his legs,
I see where I have made plenty of poets
but not so very much
poetry.

--Charles Bukowski

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:I don't see what everybody's freaking out about. Sure, the market is down, but $950 is a good price for this kit.

I'd pay a grand for it, esp with cymbals thrown in.

audioscience
audio school

Post by audioscience » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 pm

It's all about how much it's worth to the buyer.
Pro Tools sounds warmer.