axiom speakers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rufer
pushin' record

axiom speakers

Post by Rufer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:56 am

Hi.

There were a handful of threads from a couple of years ago praising Axiom speakers for nearfield monitoring. Haven't seen much discussion recently and see a pretty quick sale or two following purchase. I am wondering what the current sentiment on these speakers are. I see the M2's and M22's were considered viable options but which for what? Both of their advertised frequency responses are pretty flat but drop off dramatically in the low end--the m22's can go a bit lower.

I am also considering a used set of B&W DM602's.

Not that anyone asked for my story but here it is...I was all set to sell off my passive Event 20/20s and Hafler TA1600 and splurge on some Adam A5x's. Successful transaction with the Events on eBay but had a nonpayer on the power amp. That bought me some time to reconsider going active and I have grown more fond of the idea of some of the hi-fi bookshelf options.

Full disclosure...my room is not treated but I am taking care of that along with this purchase. I can still afford the Adam A5x route along with the room treatment but obviously holding onto more money when all is said and done is pretty great too.

My amateur/personal recording history mixing with the Events in untreated rooms, has proven that I am not very good at mixing. So with all of that said, and knowing that monitors boil down to personal preference, I would like to hear some thoughts on:

Axiom m2
Axiom m22
B&W DM602
Adam A5x (probably seems like a weird outlier to throw in here but whatever)

Matt

gregovertone
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregovertone » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:11 am

i have some 602 mk2's that i love.

great for references, as well as just listening :)
www.gregsguitarlessons.com
Guitar Lessons & Studio

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:53 am

I have the Axiom M2 speakers and an Adcom 535 amp. This is a very pleasing combination to listen to, and at the same time very revealing about what is going on in my mixes. I find my mixes translate well. I'd love to have B&W speakers, but this setup will last me a long time before I feel I need to upgrade.

I mainly record acoustic instruments including standup bass. I don't have a problem with the bass response of the speakers. I do check the bass on headphones, but I'd do that with any speakers.

I wanted the M22s but space and cost made me end up with the M2s. I got the reduced price ones with cosmetic issues--I've never found the cosmetic problems. I think you get a decent trial period with the Axioms and I've been really pleased with their customer service. You can try them and see if they work for you. If not, send them back.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:15 am

dgrieser wrote:I have the Axiom M2 speakers and an Adcom 535 amp. This is a very pleasing combination to listen to, and at the same time very revealing about what is going on in my mixes. I find my mixes translate well.
I have the exact same set up and I feel the exact same way you do. :D No regrets hear what so ever buying them. Super great deal!

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:39 am

I also have the M2/Adcom 535 setup and it has served me well. I also had the Adcom modified by Jim Williams - made a huge improvement, as does all of Jim's work.

Brett

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:32 pm

^ Nice to meet a fellow Brett:D

Just got a compliment on how good my Axioms sound yesterday during a session.

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:34 am

Likewise Brett!

BTW - I've actually been to Evansville to the Whirlpool plant. Everyone was talking about some plane that crashed into a hotel nearby?

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

My M2s get delivered today! Very excited.

studiodog
alignin' 24-trk

Follow up

Post by studiodog » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Can you post a follow up once you have them? Thanks!
"...because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:38 pm

What are y'all using for pre-amps with the Adcom?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Follow up

Post by Int'l Feel » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 am

studiodog wrote:Can you post a follow up once you have them? Thanks!
I can't speak to any experience with the other monitors you mentioned, but I can tell you that the M2s sound INCREDIBLE.

They're being powered by the Adcom 535, sound source is from the Apogee Duet. I too am working in an untreated room (shared art space with some rugs).

I'm also coming from a pair of M-Audio Studiophiles, so it is night and day. Definitely not getting slammed with bass anymore. These things just make listening to music (and recording it) so much more enjoyable.

I've been researching monitors in this price range off and on for the past year and this seemed like the best bang for your buck. 30-day trial period. Custom finishes make these both aesthetically and sonic-ly pleasing.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 am

I go straight from my Steinberg MR816x into the Adcom.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:31 am

dgrieser wrote:I go straight from my Steinberg MR816x into the Adcom.
I go straight from my Digi002 to my Adcom 545 as well.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:12 pm

I was using a pair of Axiom M3v2s for a while along with NS-10Ms. Though I dug them at the time, I found that they suffered from the bumped low-end that I also hear with the Genelecs that I have used. It's like a low-mid thing that just wasn't working for me. This may not be the issue with the M2s at all, which is great news. I use the M3V2s with my 1976 Pioneer SX650 receiver now for casual listening and I love the way they sound in my living room. They were also not loud enough for tracking guitars in the control room, and I felt like I was going to blow them up. Anyway, I accidentally found a pair of 1981 Rogers Studio 1 monitors in the trash nearly 2 years ago and I've never looked back after switching the M3s out with them. The Rogers handle 25 watts to 300 watts and it's fine for tracking, mixing, even mastering. They are killer vintage passive monitors.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:53 pm

bhmcc wrote:Likewise Brett!

BTW - I've actually been to Evansville to the Whirlpool plant. Everyone was talking about some plane that crashed into a hotel nearby?
Oh yeah it was the 20th anniversary of that today. A plane crashed into a near by diner. About 16 people died....

Anyway back to monitors!