Selling Cd's vs CRD's

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Selling Cd's vs CRD's

Post by jrdamien » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:09 am

Ya'll know the debate. It's old, it's worn, but give me your take. Should my band release cdr's (full retail packaging, etc) or replicated cds?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 am

Only manufacture as many as you can sell or give away. If that's under 500, then do CD-R. If it's more than 500, then do CD. The listener (end user) doesn't care at all. The majority of them don't even know that there is a difference.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:04 am

Btw, for most independent bands, compact discs are absolutely the most difficult format to sell. The audience would typically prefer downloads or vinyl. And, you'll definitely want to make your album available via Spotify.

We just did a full length CD. It's waaaay less popular than our old 7". And we get a lot of people telling us that they're waiting for the vinyl version. And, since we wasted the money pressing CDs, it'll be that much longer before we can press the vinyl. We'll probably start giving away the CDs with paid admission to our shows.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:26 pm

So what about doing a short run of cdr for promo and such and a 7" with the 2 best songs (including a download card)?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Great idea! You'd sell a lot of the 7" records if it came with a download that included a lot more songs than the 7".

That's actually a very smart way to sell a full-length record. Honestly, most people who buy vinyl don't even listen to it. There are plenty of exceptions. Mostly people on forums like this. But, most people who buy vinyl in 2012 buy it to HAVE it and not to listen to it. 7" records are way cheaper to manufacture than 12" records. So, you're giving collectors something they want, while at the same time incentivizing the digital music fans to pony up for SOMETHING that's cool and physical.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:51 pm

chris harris wrote:Great idea! You'd sell a lot of the 7" records if it came with a download that included a lot more songs than the 7".

That's actually a very smart way to sell a full-length record. Honestly, most people who buy vinyl don't even listen to it. There are plenty of exceptions. Mostly people on forums like this. But, most people who buy vinyl in 2012 buy it to HAVE it and not to listen to it. 7" records are way cheaper to manufacture than 12" records. So, you're giving collectors something they want, while at the same time incentivizing the digital music fans to pony up for SOMETHING that's cool and physical.
I'm really leaning towards this. Still not cheap...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:18 pm

chris harris wrote:Great idea! You'd sell a lot of the 7" records if it came with a download that included a lot more songs than the 7".

agreed great idea. Also places are starting to do short run 12" records and its not too bad price wise.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:36 pm

agreed great idea. Also places are starting to do short run 12" records and its not too bad price wise.
What are some places that do short run 12"?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, what are some places that do short-run 12"? (Anything near as cost-effective as CD's?)

GJ

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Probably not as cost effective as CDs. The real cost of vinyl isn't the per disc charge for pressing. It's the expense of getting a quality lacquer cut and quality metal parts.

That said, I'm also interested in links for affordable short run pressing.

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:42 pm

I've been selling full-length CDs for the last 3.5 years and the sales have REALLY dwindled to almost nothing in the last year. put out a 7" EP and have already sold more records in the last 2 weeks than I've sold CDs in the last year. and it's a vinyl-only release ... no downloads and not available on any other format. Also have some other stuff available for download, and that doesn't sell very well either. I think if people are going pay for music, it's gonna be on vinyl. people seem to take the project more seriously as well because it takes a commitment to get something to ax. also, the limitations and expense of the format ensure better quality control ... anyone can put out a CD or download or cassette of whatever they want with almost no investment.
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 pm

donny wrote:I've been selling full-length CDs for the last 3.5 years and the sales have REALLY dwindled to almost nothing in the last year. put out a 7" EP and have already sold more records in the last 2 weeks than I've sold CDs in the last year. and it's a vinyl-only release ... no downloads and not available on any other format. Also have some other stuff available for download, and that doesn't sell very well either. I think if people are going pay for music, it's gonna be on vinyl. people seem to take the project more seriously as well because it takes a commitment to get something to ax. also, the limitations and expense of the format ensure better quality control ... anyone can put out a CD or download or cassette of whatever they want with almost no investment.
Are you doing fully printed sleeves with those 45's? And what amount are you selling them for?

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 am

jrdamien wrote:
donny wrote:I've been selling full-length CDs for the last 3.5 years and the sales have REALLY dwindled to almost nothing in the last year. put out a 7" EP and have already sold more records in the last 2 weeks than I've sold CDs in the last year. and it's a vinyl-only release ... no downloads and not available on any other format. Also have some other stuff available for download, and that doesn't sell very well either. I think if people are going pay for music, it's gonna be on vinyl. people seem to take the project more seriously as well because it takes a commitment to get something to ax. also, the limitations and expense of the format ensure better quality control ... anyone can put out a CD or download or cassette of whatever they want with almost no investment.
Are you doing fully printed sleeves with those 45's? And what amount are you selling them for?
yes, I did the packaging myself and included full-color cover as well as a sticker and insert. Includes 5 tracks. selling for $4-$6 each, whereas the CDs had 15-20 tracks at the same price ... they're just not moving.

oh, and my opinion on your original question is ... it's pointless to press actual CDs; I've always done CDRs with handmade packaging (mini-LP style), done in small runs of 50 or so at a time. It's more labor-intensive but you can spread it out and make them as you need them. the biggest concern for me was I wasn't sure if I would sell 10 or 100 ... ultimately ended up moving about 400 or so, but it was over the course of 3 years.

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:12 am

donny wrote:
jrdamien wrote:
So you're loosing money on the vinyl, then (unless you're doing runs of 500 or more)?

What kind of diy packaging are you doing?

yes, I did the packaging myself and included full-color cover as well as a sticker and insert. Includes 5 tracks. selling for $4-$6 each, whereas the CDs had 15-20 tracks at the same price ... they're just not moving.

oh, and my opinion on your original question is ... it's pointless to press actual CDs; I've always done CDRs with handmade packaging (mini-LP style), done in small runs of 50 or so at a time. It's more labor-intensive but you can spread it out and make them as you need them. the biggest concern for me was I wasn't sure if I would sell 10 or 100 ... ultimately ended up moving about 400 or so, but it was over the course of 3 years.
So you're loosing money on the vinyl, then (unless you're doing runs of 500 or more)?

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:21 am

jrdamien wrote:
donny wrote:
jrdamien wrote:

no, not losing money ... breaking even, maybe a small profit at the end of the run.