The Variety Hour - 'Transmissive' new EP

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

The Variety Hour - 'Transmissive' new EP

Post by Rolsen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:26 pm

My band's second ep. I'm stoked as this is the first project I engineered by myself. I was most worried about my drum recording - I have the least experience with that, but I think I did alright. We always tell people we sound like Cheap Trick on cough meds. Definitely 90's alt-rock and shoe-gaze inspired. What do you think? Did we do alright? Here's our reverbnation link:

www.reverbnation.com/thevarietyhour

Everything recorded in my spare, 703 panel-treated bedroom.

Drums OHs: AT Pro37s, ORTF style
Snare: Studio Projects C-1 LDC, shooting across the snare towards the toms
Bass Drum: Audix D6, inside BD about 10" from the beater
Toms: Audix I-5 and SM-57
Bass Guitar: direct into ART Pro Channel, lightly compressed
Electric Guitar: SM7, Cascade Fathead II, AT Pro 37
Vocals: SM7 into ART Pro Channel, lightly compressed

Mixed by a buddy more proficient than I in that department via Logic and some really nice outboard gear - Distressors, 1176s and API de-essers and eqs applied to pretty much all tracks except guitar (which had some Logic eq treatment). Buddy also ran tracks through a Neve multi-channel summing mixer, and mastered using T-Racks Deluxe.

Thoughts?

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Oh, yeah - I should mention I recorded this using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, 2010 Intel i3 iMac and Reaper. All tracks utilized the Focusrite pres except for bass and vocals (used Art ProChannel's pres and compressor) and some guitars.