Fostex R8 and Yamaha DMP7 opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goldie469
pluggin' in mics

Fostex R8 and Yamaha DMP7 opinions?

Post by goldie469 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:48 am

I'm looking for an 8 track reel to reel for home demos, and general tapey goodness. Just seen an ad for a Fostex R8, sold with a Yamaha DMP7 digital mixer, can anybody vouch an opinion on either of these pieces of gear?

I'm especially interested in the DMP7, I've never heard of it before, but it looks to be a pretty smart piece of gear, with moving faders and all...

Cheers!
Chris

snatchman
george martin

Re: Fostex R8 and Yamaha DMP7 opinions?

Post by snatchman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

goldie469 wrote:I'm looking for an 8 track reel to reel for home demos, and general tapey goodness. Just seen an ad for a Fostex R8, sold with a Yamaha DMP7 digital mixer, can anybody vouch an opinion on either of these pieces of gear?

I'm especially interested in the DMP7, I've never heard of it before, but it looks to be a pretty smart piece of gear, with moving faders and all...

Cheers!
Chris
I had the R-8 for awhile..It's a pretty decent recorder considering the 1/4" tape width..

snakepliskin
audio school

Post by snakepliskin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi,

I have an R8, it's pretty cool. I have a later model with the detachable control panel along with a 20' cable. This is a neat feature if you do demo or solo recording, as you can bring the controls next to your kit or amp, etc....

I am experimenting with a new project and made a quick recording last weekend, all recorded on the R8. It's just a quick mix so we can better learn our parts on our own time, but here it is for your reference http://acidjohnson.bandcamp.com/. Granted my provided reference mix is rough, the R8 it can make surprisingly good recordings regardless of the limitations of the 1/4" format.

If you decide to get the Fostex, check back in with an update.

-Snake
Would you believe me if I told you I was being followed by a yellow submarine?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:00 pm

If they're functional, silly cheap, and don't overlap with anything you've already got, grab them.

Neither is an amazing find. I wouldn't pay much for either of them.

The DMP7 is pushing 30 years old...back from the dawn of digital technology. I haven't used one in ages, but they were a bit hard to use (menus & a text only LCD), and not particularly feature-ful or hifi.

It might pair nicely with the R8, actually. The grainy digital might offset the mushy narrow-format tape.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 am

I bought a R8 in/around 1986. Cool little deck .. you can slam the levels pretty hard before break up. First song I ever recorded on one got into to heavy radio rotation.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:50 am

Yes, the R8 is a decent machine, regardless of tape width. 1/4" is 1/4", and Fostex' track record is spotty on some of their gear, but the tape machines rock (actually, I have an R8 and a Model 80, I believe it was called-- both working but neither hooked-up right now).

I did _a lot_ of tracking on Fostex machines in the 80's, and some wound up on records, a bunch also on radio (jingle stuff).

If you can get a good price, grab it. Skip the mixing board that was made to go with it though (forget the model number). Great set-up, direct ins and outs, lots of nice routing, but a bit noisy, and all plagued with the same problem (at least mine and the folks I know that had one had similar experiences)-- at a certain point, faders just start to go into "auto-mix" mode (you bring it down to 00 and it's blasting at full volume).

GJ

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Yeah, the DMP-7 is very old in digital years. Probably 16 bits at the most, 44.1kHz sample rate.