Quick video cabling question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Quick video cabling question

Post by williamsongs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 am

For running a simple video camera from a tracking room to the control room (not for recording video) just for a visual on what's happening in there. Of these choices, which is my best bet for making the 30' trip?

S-Video
Composite
Firewire (DV)

The camera has all three outputs. But I don't know which is less prone to interference or degradation over that length. Don't need perfection for this, but want to use the best of the three choices.

Thanks for any advice...
"Sounds to me like you're just a little bit cranky"

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:37 pm

There are lots of versions of this same kind of thing. I've used similar units a number of times, running video up to 300' with no problems.

S-Video to Cat-5 adaptor (Note: Probably obvious, but you need one for each end of your run.)

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Composite over coax would be just fine, unless you want to do hi-def. You might want to spec a slightly bigger coax than the usual RG-59, maybe an RG-6?

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:00 pm

The 'best' out of those options is firewire - there will be no degradation as it's digital signal. However since you aren't recording it all of them would work more or less equally well for you. S-Video would be my last option because you need 4+shell cable and the connectors are generally crap.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Only problem with firewire would be the length. I believe it is designed to support 15 feet max.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 pm

I've seen it used with 100' cables successfully. One of the freelance directors I worked with had for some reason built his multi-camera system with firewire. He was very particular about how the cables were spooled though. But since the op was asking about a fixed installation this wouldn't be a problem.