Bullet with My Name on it....

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Bullet with My Name on it....

Post by MichaelAlan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Here's a song I did recently with a buddy. I seriously don't care that it's got timing and pitch problems.... I just wanna know what you guys think of the song in general cause it was fun to write and you guys got good taste....right....?

Mike

http://soundcloud.com/michael-sandoval- ... -w-my-name
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:59 am

My taste is impeccable and I love it. Good takes, good sound, good mix.

Do you mind sharing how you caught those acoustic guitars?

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks man. And of course I will divulge, no secret... It's my buddy's Tacoma, pretty high end, with newer strings. I'm playing in my garage. The mic is an old Cad LDC. pretty cheap. It's about 1 1/2 feet from the sound hole, right in front. Going straight into the MOTU 896HD and then to logic. The guitars have the standard Logic comp on both with a low end rolloff and a little cut at around 200hz. (they were boomy) Then I just threw the W1 limiter on at the end and cranked it pretty good.

Can't wait to post some stuff here once I get that Black Lion mod for the MOTU ..mmmmmm.....

vxboogie
pushin' record

Re: Bullet with My Name on it....

Post by vxboogie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 am

MichaelAlan wrote:Here's a song I did recently with a buddy. I seriously don't care that it's got timing and pitch problems.... I just wanna know what you guys think of the song in general cause it was fun to write and you guys got good taste....right....?
I think its great as well. Great song, good energy and feel. Liked it a lot. The only thing that I noticed was it felt very dry like it needed some ambience added. It may have been that I was listening to it through headphones, but it seemed dry. Great Job!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Man thanks a lot, I appreciate the constructive criticism. It is really dry, although the vocal has kinda a quick, small-room verb on it but it's subtle. I just threw it on to make it sit in a little. BTW... it seems that headphones always make little nuances like verb tails and such even more apparent to me.... prob cause my room hides those little thing.... needs some treatment!